Detect most of the winter?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I am in NY and have been detecting much of the winter in recent years. Even when the ground is frozen, I take a hammer and can dig hammering on the end of my digging tool (it's a long handled screwdriver like thing). My goal this year is to find silver in frozen ground. Couldn't get it done last year, but this will be the year. Camp Silver is going to give it up. Are you with me, or against me?!?!?!??! Everyone ought to get out there in the cold.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I'm with you, Bergie. Been hunting straight through the winter for years. Made some of my very best finds in the cold and snow. Try hunting in the woods where the ground doesn't always freeze. At least that's the way it is down here in PA. Good luck.
skier

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ah, good point, the leaves on top freeze and you get some softer ground below.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i stay at it untill it is impossible to dig. last year there was only a week or two where it wasnt possible. im hoping for a mild winter! ;)

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I also hunt durring the winter and as some said in the woods here usually can still dig under the leaves

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
We have an over abundance of snow and it must go!
Pure white Wisconsin snow, freshly fallen on December 1, 2006.

Can not ship in original form, but am willing to send you a baggie full and you can re-freeze.
If you have moved away from Wisconsin to warmer climates and miss a little of the wonderful white fluffy snow, this is for you!

Selling on ebay right now

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bergie.............There is one thing that never bothered me , and that is SNOW !!! I myself have hunted plenty of times during the winter months and have found some nice Coins and Relics! The last couple of years here in New York the winters have been pretty mild.........I live in the western part of the state and if the winds are just right we may not get any snow for weeks.

The Two old Cellar holes site I had talked about in the past .........We have hunted it plenty of times during the winter even in a mini Blizzard......that was an experiance and we still found some nice finds... :) Here are a few pics from last winter......yehaaaaaa!!

Anyway !!! good luck in the future detecting no matter if its in the sun or in the heart of Winter.......HH Keep on digging!! :)

Attachments

• Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 008 800x600.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 008 800x600.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 298
  • Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 021 800x600.jpg
    Old Place 12-26-05 Snow storm 021 800x600.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 300

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with ya Bergie! 8) Go get that silver!!!!

Gypsy..... KEEP THAT SNOW IN WISCONSIN! :D

Great pictures, John!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! You guys are freezing me to death! Wow, I'm too cold natured to be out in that stuff

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to go put my coat on just reading this post!!! I know one thing I am not going to tease GH about cold and snow any more. We have more snow than we want here. Please take it back.
Burdie :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
damn seeker, you are a trooper! i think the snow might keep me in! ;)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
winter in the woods here in mass too !! cold schmold i say !! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D under big pines is easy diggin too, and not as much snow under them and the needles don't freeze too fast.. ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I'm with you. As long as the snow doesn't get too high. If we get 4-6 inches then you really have to wait until it packs down or melts. Woods are good as the leaves tend to insulate the ground and keep it from freezing.

I remember when I first started really getting into fishing. The one day we were out in December on Lake Erie catching Walleye and Perch in a mini blizzard. ;D ;D

Bob

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a hatchet, hammer, and chisel. I would hammer the hatchet into the ground in 4 sections, then use the chisel to pop out the plug. I think I went through three Craftsman hammers before I started using a 4 pound maul. Make sure you pinpoint accurately too. You should just see the damage you can do to a nice silver coin with a chisel. :o

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Having started MD'ing in late Oct.......I now find myself addicted and will definately press on through the winter. Cold weather is just a matter of dressing right. Taking into consideration how hard it might be to dig, I have to get my X'ing as accurate as possible for when that time comes.....soon.

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey
Crazy business!!! I think I'll head out to a sight I've had my eye on up in the mountains.....Hope I don't slide down the side of one! And just when I was getting real depressed about the winter, i see this post. Thanks everyone! I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow....

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
Yea...I hunt most of the winter here in Northeastern P. A......Mostly on the river banks facing south and in deep wooded areas. The leaves and snow cover provide a blanket for the ground and usually leaves it soft enouth to dig. I never use a small pick axt to dig. With my luck I'd hit the coin. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Woodsie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread