finally decided to sign up, flying detectors

satchmo

Dec 4, 2006
rockledge florida
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
hi , treasure hunters after lurking for a few months its time to finally sign up .I've going out beach combing on the 1715 fleet not found anything to speak of yet but I'm waiting for my day!!! i have learned a lot here I'm still reading past posts . i have one question for now , about flying with your detector , i will take it apart but will the tsa let you take the main section as carry on baggage or they want to see that,how it works i don't want to take a chance and check it , i dought it would make it to N.Y . has any of you traveled with your detector?? thanks bill

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Flew with mine to Maui a couple of years ago. Carried the 'box' and 'coil' as carry-on, put the handle sections in suitcase as checked baggage. Didn't want them to confiscate the handles as 'clubs' or other weapons. Didn't have a bit of trouble. The TSA folks didn't even blink at the strange electronic gizmo in my carry-on.

Roger

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from Tulsa, Ok to Seattle, WA a couple of months ago. I phoned the airlines and security before I left. Both advised to check it with my luggage. I packed it in bubble wrap and put it in a suitcase within a suitcase. It made the trip fine. The drawback is that you cannot insure it against loss as electronic equipment is exempt from insurability for some reason. At least that was the case with American Airlines and I expect it applies to all air carriers. If it's damaged or lost it's just your loss I suppose unless your home owners' policy would cover it? Monty

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I flew from Indy to Miami then to Cancun just a month ago and carried my detector with me. I broke it all down and left the battteries in because I was told they may ask to turn it on. In addition I did put the shafts into checked baggage but my coils and box never left my side. The shafts are relatively inexpensive to replace where the cols and box are another story. I didnt have any problems with TSA or the Mexicans on the way home. I would never check a 1000 dollar detector that could only be insured for 50 bucks,so carry that puppy with you but check the shafts....Shoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread