Newbie looking for advice - long winded post

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been interested in metal detecting for a long time. I'm only now getting serious about buying a detector and researching potential spots. Here is what I need help with

Regarding mineralized soil. How do I tell if my area might be mineralized? I'm located in Wisconsin and plan on hunting all over the state. The majority of my hunting will take place in the sections of Wisconsin where the glacial features are most prominent. This is due to the fact our cabin is located right on the border of the last glacial push. The landscape is extremely rocky with the soil being a type of silt loom. Also, how does this affect my decision for the type of detector I purchase?

I do not want to spend a lot of money, $300 max, as I'm brand new to the hobby. Are there any concerns with buying a used detector? What should I look out for if I do purchase a used detector? The $300 will be on just the swinger, I'll be buying a pinpointer at a later time.

A question that probably gets asked more than any other... What would be a good detector to consider? My initial thoughts are I'd like something fairly user friendly, reliable, and with room to grown. The obvious contenders are Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, and Whites. I'm leaning towards a used Tesoro or Whites as they seem to have a good reputation and performance. If I buy new I'm leaning towards Garrett or Fisher as they seem to have decent entry level units. Any flaws in my reasoning?

On to potential sights.

When you hunt private land are you offering any share of proceeds if you find something of value? Do you have a "waiver" or "contract" you provide to the land owner to help with the potential issues of finding valuables?

Is hunting in water, shallow streams and shoreline, any different than hunting dry land? Does freshwater matter when dealing with mineralized soil?

For the people who frequently operate in wilderness as I will be, do you carry a sidearm with you? I'm a hunter and general outdoors person so I'm extremely familiar with wildlife and firearms. I've just never felt the need to carry a sidearm due to the fact I'm normally carrying a rifle or shotgun. I probably will carry during the remote hunts but just wondered if anyone else does too.

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. I like to be fairly knowledgeable regarding things before I jump in. I'll be doing lots of research in regards to technique and approach. I'll be sure to learn the detector and would like to be extremely comfortable I'm operating correctly when I hit some of my high potential areas.

On to those high potential areas.

I've got an old (dates back to 1915) bar/inn/club near our cabin on our lake. The owner has given me permission to hunt all the land surrounding and stated it's never been hunted as long as he or his family have owned it. I'm sure someone has been on the grounds but I've got a few spots I think will deliver. The swimming hole and the hill many used for sunbathing are just a few. There are pictures of the swimming hole dating well before the inn was ever developed. Rumors are the swimming hole was popular from the early days of the area which was 1880s. Pretty stoked for this one as I can spend lots of time since my place is within walking distance.

Another area is a ghost town about 10 miles from our lake. This isn't as much of a ghost town as it was a train stop and a post office. The tracks were removed many years ago but there are traces of where they were. The train depot was basically a platform and an old box car. It saw the majority of its traffic from 1890-1925. I have almost certainly located the area where the old platform was and it's now on private land. My thought is lots of goodies dropped through the slates of that platform.

The long-shot is an old moonshining area. It was the sight of a rather large operation that burned down. The farm is not far from me either. I'm sure the family could show me the exact area the old barn was which housed the still. My thoughts here are the old moonshiners may have buried proceeds around the property. This could be a tough location as I'm sure there is a ton of old farm junk buried. The upside is the area where the original farm was is nowhere near the current structures. I know this as the original structure was located on a stream. The stream bed is still there but has dried. The current house and barns are all located much further down the road from the stream, close to 1/4 mile.

The last area of interest may not be possible at all. I'm not sure who owns the property but I'm thinking it's state land. It's the location of an old school. The structure was on the same plot dating from the 1880's. There are lots of interesting areas surrounding the property which are visible on google earth. I believe I've found what looks like an old road or path which now would be leading into the middle of the woods. Where ever it may have led there is nothing there now.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help you can provide!

derdmann

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Marinette, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Junkless,
I bought a White's Coinmaster Pro two weeks ago and I am very happy. I got mine for $224. There is a learning curve with any detector that you buy, so don't get frustrated. A huge help to me has been a Garrett Pro Pointer-$128. Puts you right on the coins with no guessing. Buy the pointer up front. It will make your life alot easier. I've found 82 coins so far.

As far as a gun, I don't even carry one when I am trout fishing in grizzly country.

You also need to decide what type of hunting you will do as some detectors as better suited for certain things( at least that is what I have read when I was researching what type to buy).

Can't search on state land in Wisconsin unless you get persmission from the land manager and you are only looking for a specific item. All other items have to be turned in. (I am really not happy about that rule).

Great article in Lost Treasure magazine, Dec 2012, on how to do research on the internet. Check out NETR Online • Historic Aerials

Best of luck. Warning, this hobby is very addicting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info derd. The pro pointer seems to be the one I keep reading about so that's good to know.

The carry thing is really a non-issue, was just curious if anyone else considers it.

I'm planning on most my hunting to be done in rough terrain. The neighborhood park is not where I plan on spending most my time. I'm more interested in the hunt which includes the research and scouting.

The state land thing is really bugging me. I have a couple places in mind that are indeed out of the question as they are definitely on state land. The schoolhouse might be under a churches umbrella as that was the last owner and there is a cemetery very near. If it's not on state land I will do my best to get permission. I'm sure it's been hunted but the surrounding area looks so promising it's hard to pass.

The research part of this is what really has me attracted. I love digging into old photos and stories. I've been doing a lot of research about the land around our cottage. The more I dig the more I'm finding the area has an amazing past. Plus, my grandma is 92 and remembers the area like it was yesterday. Apparently my relatives who owned the lake originally would get dropped off at the train station (maybe the one I found) and walk to the cabin. It's close to a 8 mile walk if the depot is where I think it is. This would have been back in the 1900-1920 time frame. Love this stuff and already addicted!

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is going to handle mineralized soil prob better that anyother detector on the market due to the 28 diff freq it puts into the ground. I know that alot of people like them for that reason. They aren't cheap though. and they're not the most user friendly until you get to use them some. After you have used it for a few months they get easy to use. Minelab has the best technology on the market IMO>. you cant go wrong with one.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't go overboard on your first detector. Consider a CoinMaster or equivalant of another mfgr. Then work with it until you are able to do a mind-meld with it. Then, in a year or two you can step up to more bells and whistles. What you learn by using a good entry level detector will enhance your experience when you step up later.

The only place I carry a weapon is in the deserts. I don't carry for the usual varmits....I carry it for the 2-legged variety. There are some really strange people hang out in the desert. I don't carry it as a sidearm per se...it's a small 25 cal I just carry in my back pocket. I've never had occassion to bring it out

You might find that the school you'd like to detect is actually owned by the county or city and their rules may allow detecting. The moonshinning location could be good for a cache or two. I don't know how mineralized the soil is in WI...in MI lower penninsula I don't find much in mineralization, but the western part of the UP, tends to be quite mineralized. Like you, I also enjoy the research. I find that once I'm in the field I "relate" more to the location if I've seen old photos or read old accounts that I can line up with landmarks etc. It just becomes more of a case of "experiencing" it.

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as private landowners go, just offer them a small display case that you will put together of some finds. don't promise any amount or commit to anything like that. bring a waiver that states you are solely responsible for anything that happens while you are on the property nullifying them of anything at all. bring a picture of what one of your "plugs" looks like before and after so that they will not think you are going to leave a bunch of holes. ask them questions about the land and if you know anything at all about thier protery that would be uniqiue let them know. do not go in your metal detecting gear and dont go prepared to hunt right then. it looks bad and will probably get you turned down. check out the teknetics delta 4000. all of the features of plus more that fisher and garret don't offer and has awesome depth!!!!! it does not offer ground balance (it has an auto ground balance feature) if you need ground balance go with the fisher f5

derdmann

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Marinette, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Junkless,
I probably searched some of the area that was hit by the Peshtigo fire because it covered 1.5 million acres. However, I did not search the City of Peshtigo yet, where most of the people died. 800 lost their life in Peshtigo that day. It went all the way to Door County; jumping over the Bay of Green Bay which was 20-25 miles across.
Doug

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outcome, thank you very much for the information. What you described with regards to approaching land owners is pretty much how I envisioned doing it. Respect and understanding is paramount to gaining permission, IMO. It's very much like asking permission to hunt game on private land. I'll definitely check out the detector you recommended.

Derd, I actually live in GB and get to Peshtigo and Marinette all the time for work. There is an area south of 180 about half way to Wausaukee which would be intriguing. I believe there is a plaque commemorating the settlement there. Not sure if you have ever checked it out but might be a fun spot.

I don't even own a detector and I can already tell I'm hooked. Unfortunately I can see I will not have the amount of time for hunting as I would like. I have a wife and two kids whom deserve plenty of my attention. This will force me to do my best to qualify potential spots before I devote my limited time. Our cabin area is just set up nicely where I have multiple locations with easy access and facilities near by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread