Bottle Dump Found... Advice?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I got information on a dump that was "closed" in the 1980's. I've gotten some late 70's - 80's bottles on the surface, really generic like ketchup bottles and some screw top amber bottles. Does anyone think if I start digging out I might get older stuff like sodas or etc? There was a broken 1950 pharmacy bottle on the surface but other than that everything else was newer.. it's off the side of railroad tracks about 40 feet away and about 30 feet away from a highway.. i've gotten permission and such. It's really wooded so ill have to do a little cutting out before I can dig and it is a nightmare to get back there... main question is do you think its worth to dig out or leave it?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
MrSchulz said:
I got information on a dump that was "closed" in the 1980's. I've gotten some late 70's - 80's bottles on the surface, really generic like ketchup bottles and some screw top amber bottles. Does anyone think if I start digging out I might get older stuff like sodas or etc? There was a broken 1950 pharmacy bottle on the surface but other than that everything else was newer.. it's off the side of railroad tracks about 40 feet away and about 30 feet away from a highway.. i've gotten permission and such. It's really wooded so ill have to do a little cutting out before I can dig and it is a nightmare to get back there... main question is do you think its worth to dig out or leave it?

Sounds like a lot of work for new bottles. Best to find a old bottle dump. Any thing before the turn of the last century.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to try to find out when the dump was first used. If it's not very old, there's no point. If it is old, find the edge and dig down, then work you way sideways into the dump.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to get to the center of the dump and dig down to the oldest layer. then see whats there. Me? I would dig it regardless because its just so much fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread