Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if the "tesoro" guy says it's true on your other post and even states that the holy grail of minelabs, V3, and even the deus wouldn't pick it up either, then I retract my statement.
You're not making this up and it's not B.S. I apologize!
I don't feel like a fool for saying any of that because I'm still holding a machine that I know will pick that chain up no problem and not just the clasp. Even with the disc. at 5.
Confirming once again that I have no need to use anything else.:headbang:
Cheers,
Dave.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not that surprised by your test. Try the same test with a Minelab CTX 3030; Whites V3i; a Garrett AT Pro, or a even an XP Deus - and you'll have exactly the same results. I use a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq in All Metal in the dry sand at the beach to recover gold chains, and it is the only detector (aside from my Minelab GPX 5000) that I have ever used that can actually pick up the individual links on a fine gold chain. Most people hit the clasp when they detect a chain, as the individual links are just too small for most VLF and PI machines to find. Laying a chain on top of red dirt (iron rich) makes it virtually invisible to pre-set ground balance machines. Manually ground balance a Vaquero or a Lobo ST, and you have a fighting chance of hearing it.

PS: Do a video using a small gold wedding band..

Last edited:
OP
OP
nicklemanguitar

nicklemanguitar

Greenie
Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden chain

Iam not trying to give tesoro a bad name thats what i hunt with .he gold chain belongs to my uncle . it's metal and is stamped 14kt gold . for some reasonthe detectors don't pick it up. i don't think it's right for you to call my post B.S . I was just trying to see if someone could answer the proplem. the full list of detectors sidewinder umax old golden sabre (metal box) conquistador compadre vaquero. I'm not against any brand of detectors and love the tesoro detectors . i'm just telling you that they would not sound off on that chain.

I ran across this article on gold chain s . this might explain why the detctors do not detect the chain.

WHY CAN CHAINS BE VERY HARD TO FIND?
Chains consist of many individual links. Unless chains are tangled, or have built up a halo effect, metal detectors can only pick up the individual links, not the complete mass. So if the individual links can be detected (or the largest bit, eg the clasp), the chain will be detected, fine chains with small catches are often impossible for metal detectors to detect.
Ralph @ Sun Ray Detector

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran across this article on gold chain s . this might explain why the detctors do not detect the chain.

WHY CAN CHAINS BE VERY HARD TO FIND?
Chains consist of many individual links. Unless chains are tangled, or have built up a halo effect, metal detectors can only pick up the individual links, not the complete mass. So if the individual links can be detected (or the largest bit, eg the clasp), the chain will be detected, fine chains with small catches are often impossible for metal detectors to detect.
Ralph @ Sun Ray Detector
.............That is what i told you the detector can not see the chain and most if not all detectors are like that...........If you were to connect the chain hook one end to the other then it might pick it up...............................I am surprised that so many on here did not know that.......... Well it took me a while to remember that about chains..................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
NICKLEMAN CONNECT THAT NECKLESS TOGETHER THEN WAVE THAT COIL OVER IT AND SEE IF IT SOUNDS OFF....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I was asked to wade in here by a PM. First not all detectors are equal even of the same brand or model, but I suspect either the chain was disc out or it wasn't really in all metal. Gold chains are funny as the detector only "sees" the individual links and not the whole chain. My Tesoro's can sound off on gold chains easy of ones of this size and also earring backs. But earring backs are flat and not rounded for the eddy currents. I've never seen a Tesoro that couldn't see gold chains that had the clasp no matter how small. Other detectors miss them all the time.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I was asked to wade in here by a PM. First not all detectors are equal even of the same brand or model, but I suspect either the chain was disc out or it wasn't really in all metal. Gold chains are funny as the detector only "sees" the individual links and not the whole chain. My Tesoro's can sound off on gold chains easy of ones of this size and also earring backs. But earring backs are flat and not rounded for the eddy currents. I've never seen a Tesoro that couldn't see gold chains that had the clasp no matter how small. Other detectors miss them all the time.
Exactally what I said :icon_thumright: I don't know why people make these stupid videos ???

SS

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The things I do for this hobby....lol.

OK so here goes decided to do a reality check with my Tesoro DeLeon......borrowed my wife's gold chain which I found and posted earlier in this thread.....took off the pendant so as not to give an edge to detecting the chain.

Took it out and strung it out end to end on the driveway....it did give a stronger signal when I ran the coil over the clasp section I admit....but the chain did sound off scratchy but still gave a repeatable signal....

My setting were threshold at 12 o'clock and sensitivity at 8 which is my usual settings...fyi the weight of the chain 3.1 grams so not very chunky.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The things I do for this hobby....lol.

OK so here goes decided to do a reality check with my Tesoro DeLeon......borrowed my wife's gold chain which I found and posted earlier in this thread.....took off the pendant so as not to give an edge to detecting the chain.

Took it out and strung it out end to end on the driveway....it did give a stronger signal when I ran the coil over the clasp section I admit....but the chain dig sound off scratchy but still gave a repeatable signal....

My setting were threshold at 12 o'clock and sensitivity at 8 which is my usual settings...fyi the weight of the chain 3.1 grams so not very chunky.

Regards + HH

Bill
... You see that chain you have is not a small thin chain with links.... The links in that chain are almost as one strand of rope not links..........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something is very wrong here with those detectors or something else is going on. It is true that most detectors have a real hard time sounding off on a thin chain even in ALL METAL, but that wasn't a thin chain. It should have at least sounded off on the clasps as they are larger. Maybe you should have the "14 kt chain" tested or send in the Tesoro's for tune ups. Something is going on here that doesn't add up.:icon_scratch:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman this is exactly how I feel. I'm not saying this post is B.S. anymore but something is seriously wrong with that chain or his settings. I could see if it was just one tesoro but he tried several.
Nicklemanguitar, what was the sensitivity set at?
Still, this chain should sound off on all metal.
My friend tried a small chain like Bill's on his silver u-max and cibola and it picked up no problem.
This thread still leaves me :icon_scratch:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Look at the soil folks - It is RED! That is hot soil, iron rich. Look at the height of the coil off the targets, I estimate 5"-6". Lastly, look at the speed of the sweeps. This video should not surprise experienced gold hunters. It DOES NOT mean these machines will not find gold. The Golden Umax got a chirp even at 5"+ with the chain laying on the equivalent of a bed of iron nails. There is no mystery here, and it shows plainly why you need to move your coil slow, low, and flat if you want to find gold.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't help me Terry. If the red soil is choked with iron, then why was the machine quiet on all metal? It should have sounded off on all the iron.
Does tesoro not make a true all metal setting? Are you saying that the machines are nulling even on all metal?
If I put the disc. only on 2 (not even all metal) with the '66, it would beep non-stop if there's tons of iron in the soil. Or at least make a bunch of small chirps.
It seems that he was sweeping those machines pretty slow. Maybe it is too high off the ground for that detector. :dontknow:
Maybe what I'm having problems with is the concept of ALL METAL. Certain brands have that setting but they still reject smaller iron out.
I'm not trying to argue here, I just don't understand!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nicklemanguitar

nicklemanguitar

Greenie
Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These detectors was not swinging 5or 6 inches over this chain it was closer to 2or 3 inches and all the dectors were in all metal also tried with an older golden sabre and it did nothing . all of the detectors did fine on the quarter.please don.t accuse me of B.S OR THAT I'M BAD MOUTHING TESORO DETECTORS . I LOVE TESORO DETECTORS . THIS VIDEO WAS MADE AND POSTED HOPING SOME OF YOU MORE EXPERIENCE DETECTOR USER'S COULD EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM .ALSO THE CHAIN IS METAL AND STAMPED 14 KT GOLD. SO PLEASE KEEP YOUR SARCACISM TO YOURSELF . AND IF THIS VIDEO HAS OFFENDED ANYONE I AM SORRY .I DON'T HAVE THE CHAIN WITH ME IT BELONGS TO MY UNCLE WHEN I GO BACK DOWN TO VISIT I WILL TRY THE TEST AGAIN BY CONNECTING THE CHAIN . TESORO IS ONLY DETECTOR I HAVE TO TEST WITH. IF I CAN GET A FRIEND OF MINE WHO OWNS DIFFERENT DETECTORS TEST THE CHAIN I WILL POST THE RESULTS. SORRY IF I HAVE MADE ANYONE MAD.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, you folks that can detect gold chains with your machines go out in your back yards and throw your gold chain on the ground, and put the results up for us to see.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, you folks that can detect gold chains with your machines go out in your back yards and throw your gold chain on the ground, and put the results up for us to see.

Terry this won't work either as someone will post a video of their "hot" detector going over a gold chain and another detector supplying the Audio beeping on a tin can. Everyone thinks something is wrong with the detectors but it has to be the so called gold chain. I've found a few chains that said 14 kt Italy and they weren't gold but plastic or white metal. Detectors sound off on white metal though. Maybe the video was doctored to cut out the audio. We'll never really know what is going on. All I know is my Tejon and Tiger Shark sound off on chains and not just the clasp. Small rope chains are scratchy like #9 bird shot.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ACE 250 just hit solid on a hair thin, 22 inch, 2 gram gold chain...at 18 inches...wooo I got me a hot one...by the way, it had no clasps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread