digging tools

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look into getting a lesche Model 85.
I have had the same one for more than 12 years and have abused the heck out of it.

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the garden tools found at hardware stores want have a strong enough shaft to hold up one you start digging and prying up dirt in harder soil...I know..LOL

The Lesche mention I sure is good and I've just ordered the Garrett Edge Digger...wicked looking thing for sure..

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to fab mine up from crap layin' around. Old shovel, '69 Chevelle clutch lingage bar, Hunt Wilde grip. It's a beast.

Attachments

• DSC00070.JPG
    DSC00070.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 148

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Product Details

Everything else will basically break or bend.

I went though 6 different tools before this one. Two by minelab that bent, one "gator" that also bent, two "garden tools" that both broke at the handle, a dulled bayonet and a homemade job. I bought the lesche and never looked back.

seapro1

Apr 27, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Excalibur 1000, Fisher CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would highly recommend Predator tools, made by George Lesche. Although I have not yet used the tools I purchased from him, only because I'm currently in Afghanistan until Feb, I give the guy a 5 out of 5 star rating for customer service and super fast shipping and he really supports the military. Personally no matter if I find a simular design cheaper or not I think I would still go with him. P.S. and know I have no business or personal ties what so ever with this company.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe most will promote the Lesche products but take a little time and Google "Radius" tools and for those who may have some age issues these have proven to be an asset to old joints and are strong and work very well.

OP
OP
E

eagle927

Nov 10, 2012
Evansville,IN
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Garrett Edge diigging tool.. It's wicked looking and works great...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For lawns and easy soil, I like Treasurewise models. T14, T12, etc. For harder dirt, I like the "Bunk" digger that he makes. He posts here. Or Peleo-pick. TTC

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use different tools depending on the soil conditions. For instance, when working in a Saint Augustine lawn where the soil is fairly soft and rocks few I use a probe I made by rounding of the tip of a long shank Phillips screwdriver. I pinpoint as precisely as possible and then gently probe until I locate the coin. I then lift the probe away slightly before moving it around in a circle to create a small hole that I can lift the coin out of. This may sound like a lot of work but when I'm done you can't see I was ever there. Out where I currently live the soil is sandy with tons of rocks mixed in. The rocks range from tiny to the size of a hen's egg. I use a trowel with a thick blade to scoop sand and rocks out of the way until I find the target. Then I scrape the soil back into the hole and again you would be hard pressed to tell I'd ever been there. Of course, on a beach I use a sand scoop. After reading the recommendations on this thread I'm tempted to try a Lesche or the Garrett tool.

Storm

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use different tools depending on the soil conditions. For instance, when working in a Saint Augustine lawn where the soil is fairly soft and rocks few I use a probe I made by rounding of the tip of a long shank Phillips screwdriver. I pinpoint as precisely as possible and then gently probe until I locate the coin. I then lift the probe away slightly before moving it around in a circle to create a small hole that I can lift the coin out of. This may sound like a lot of work but when I'm done you can't see I was ever there. Out where I currently live the soil is sandy with tons of rocks mixed in. The rocks range from tiny to the size of a hen's egg. I use a trowel with a thick blade to scoop sand and rocks out of the way until I find the target. Then I scrape the soil back into the hole and again you would be hard pressed to tell I'd ever been there. Of course, on a beach I use a sand scoop. After reading the recommendations on this thread I'm tempted to try a Lesche or the Garrett tool.

Storm
Storm... suggestion. Instead of using a screwdriver (hard metal), stick a copper shaft into a wooden handle. Or even an aluminum shaft. Less chance of scratching a valuable coin. Just a thought. TTC

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche for Sure!..I have broken 3 shovels before i got this, and its done wonders in my digging time, and leaves a clean cut when used properly

good Luck

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Storm... suggestion. Instead of using a screwdriver (hard metal), stick a copper shaft into a wooden handle. Or even an aluminum shaft. Less chance of scratching a valuable coin. Just a thought. TTC

Thanks Terry. That's a good idea.

Storm

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Portable military showel is best for me... Small tools like gleaner1 posted can be handy only after rain :) you cant make a hole with that on summer when soil is like stone...

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Portable military showel is best for me... Small tools like gleaner1 posted can be handy only after rain :) you cant make a hole with that on summer when soil is like stone...

What's "rain"? I seem to remember something like that but it has been a very long time. :icon_scratch:

Storm

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOJNI-ASOVCIC-NOVO-XY_slika_O_3654757.jpg VOJNI-ASOVCIC-NOVO-XY_slika_O_3654758.jpg Dont know what kind of showels your army use but it is probably good for use... You should use it. And heres type i use... full metal portable military showel. It is very strong and price is 10-15 euros(about 20$).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread