How to go about researching and selling an artifact?

motherjunker

Oct 1, 2012
Nashville, TN (from NH)
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an unusual artifact that quite possibly belongs in a museum. I am trying to find an expert in ancient civilizations to take a look at it. (It's a silvery metal cup with very old and faded engravings on it.) I may end up having to visit a museum to have the curator look at it, because I'm not sure a typical appraiser will be able to tell me much. (Closest museum is 4 1/2 hours away.) I believe the item is Pre-Columbian.

My question is... Can I sell this item at auction? Will I be expected to give it away to a museum or government? The economy has affected us greatly and we could really use some money. If this item is worth something, I'd like to know what my options are.

Thank you very much!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
FAX a pic to a big time auction house in New York. If it's museum quality they will contact you and discuss selling it. You will never have to give it to anybody, unless it was stolen or smuggled out of a country and into this one . Good luck...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how far back pre-Columbian goes but... were they working metals into such things back then. I am simply asking 'cause I don't know. Hope it works out for you. And of course, your find was found on private property (wink) right? TTC

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you got us all curious now, what about a pic?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread