Why you souldnt trust the Archaeologists...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Thanx for posting the link. Very interesting. And to think that some Americans look-with-envy on the British system, thinking this supposed system of "declaring" key finds, etc.... is a "hunt-anywhere" type permit system, where "everyone loves metal detectorists". Far from it! They still have "scheduled sites" where .... no .... just like here in the USA, you can NOT hunt on their public land.

Here in the USA, if you find something in a farmer's field here, you keep it with that farmer. NO intrusion and telling archies to come interfere, etc.... So for the life of me, I don't understand why some people in the USA, at the slightest hint of being told they can't go to a national park (or some state parks) think "Wouldn't a system like the British have be great to have here?" :tongue3:

And there are no shortage of British archies that ....... although they have govt. tasks of sorting through something you found, yet STILL don't necessarily like metal detectorists (just like archie's here tend not to, as well). But for some reason, because of this govt. system, there's come to be this mis-information that somehow, therefore, British archies like md'rs. This is not necessarily always the case there, as you can see from this.

I had to chuckle at this point in the video: 6:29 See how those poor souls go about doing their archie dig? Have you EVER seen something so slow and boring? Combing the soil like that would take a crew a YEAR just to cover what a single guy with a detector can do, in the top 12" of a square acre can do, in a single afternoon. Yeah yeah, I know, they do it with tedious studies of "context" and so forth. Oh well, I can tell you "it was about X inches deep, and I found it right over there". Seems to me that's accurate enough for my mantle place display! ha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to laugh when they harp on about contex, and then bring in a back hoe to scrape away 10" or 12" of soil to get to were they want quick, and they turn around and say, That's plouged land and the Archaeolgy is out of contex....what about future Archaeology ???....bunch of robbing hypocrites.

This is not the first time that a detectorist has come out holding the $hit end of the stick, when dealing with this lot, the guy did the right thing with the finds, because of it's importantce...but it makes you think twice, what you would do in his shoes.

SS

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have seen what they do when they dig a site that is paid by the monies from the tax payers. They dig the site, they record all items that interest them, they lock stuff away so we as the public can not see as we please. They figure people with a detector steal all the items that are to be found, and what are they doing. At least we show our finds on forums like this, we have nothing to hide. I am sure there are major collections of found items in private homes of these well paid servents that we will never see, shame on you.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen what they do when they dig a site that is paid by the monies from the tax payers. They dig the site, they record all items that interest them, they lock stuff away so we as the public can not see as we please. They figure people with a detector steal all the items that are to be found, and what are they doing. At least we show our finds on forums like this, we have nothing to hide. I am sure there are major collections of found items in private homes of these well paid servents that we will never see, shame on you.:icon_scratch:
Dead right, I once went to but a detector of a guy, he was selling a nearly new Tesoro cheap, I asked was he out of work, he said no I have quit work to go detecting full time, shocked I quized him a little, only to find out a local Arch'y was suppling the sites for him to go to, on the understanding he sold the finds to the Arch'y.

SS

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archies hate detectorist...period.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they are haughty, egotistical, arrogant, contriving, indolent, back-stabbing, and self-serving blokes?:laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and uneducated...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread