artilce sgeds bad light on detecting

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NGC is a bunch of :censored: that do nothing but start problems for us detectors and the bad thing is they are trying to shut us down all over the world.. HH

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course its bad! Look who they are promoting, the self-prescribed buffoons of detecting who are right next to Mr. "Boom-Baby" in their "how much can I make from this" treasure hunt.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Honestly I don't think that article sheds bad light on us at all. In fact the last part actually shows encouraging co-operation between us and archies as well as the postitive returning of lost items.

Overall the article is quite true and fairly describes both sides of the fence.

That being said it is probably just NG trying to spin an article to boost the ratings for the show.

EDIT: just to be clear, seperate from the article, I believe the shows that are on (this one, which I've never seen, and American Digger) are doing more damage to our hobby and should be removed or the truth exposed of what the hobby is really like.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It seamed like a fair evaluation of the present situation. It kind of showed bias on both sides. I have seen good archies and bad archies both on the same beach. I was helping the good one. he was not allowed to own a detector.
The fact that is always missing from such discussions is the fact that if a guy with a detector didn't find something in a particular location, it would never be found. Frank

Attachments

• Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
    Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 80

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you see that proves my point of what i do........... I never tell or show anyone what i have found to me you are a fool if you do..........

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is among TV producers, program buyers, and networks an unyielding “Good Ole’ Boy” mentality. It makes no difference if the TV show is good, bad, or indifferent, if a certain TV show is wanted, it will either be produced by the network, or farmed out to a producer within the cartel. Most times, the TV show is produced by the latter. These are people with no clue as to what is needed to make the show work. Most times the hack producers throw shows on the air just to see if they stick. We’ve all seen those types of TV series, and we wonder how in God’s name they ever got aired. Reality TV is especially a big part of bad production.

As for the “Metal Detecting 101” article you have to realize who wrote the article. Although I do not find the article entirely offensive to the hobby, I do realize that the writer is trying to be loyal to his employer. That means not offending the TV series they aired, “American Diggers”. However, “American Diggers,” is a perfect example of a poorly produced series by producers who know nothing about the hobby. National Geographic now understands this, and is trying to undue the harm they did to the hobby. So this article appears to me to be National Geographic putting a band aid on the sore.

Archaeologists are a thorn in our side, but so are the production companies, and networks that produce programs without understanding what the public wants, or how to show the truth.

Frank W. Pandozzi
Executive Producer
Exploring History’s Treasures

http//www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com
http//www.exploringhistorystreasures.com

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as good publicity in a hobby that is not self renewing, requires careful stewardship and dwindles with more participation.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Networks know EXACTLY what the audience wants, and it has nothing to do with truth. Find a formula that works (fights, drama, backstabbing, greed, cheating, and ultimatums ) and reproduce it over and over as long as any advertiser will buy time on it. That's all they care about.

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't even realize I was a part of a "sub-culture" until I read this article... :laughing11:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Basically the archies look at us as competition. And it appears that bringing down the competition is an old American custom. They care not that we find a lot of things that would never be found by them. They would rather it remain in the ground. That is the nature of the beast. Frank

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 102

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions