Ace 350 - How does it perform in salt water?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. First and foremost, there is every little difference if any between the 250 & 350.. That being said, I have a 250 and it works fine on the beach. Took it into the water and also got signals, just no keepers. Is the 250/350 a great water hunting machine.. I doubt it. Then again, I could care less, I'm having fun :laughing7:

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use one but I'm sure the performance falls off as you hit the wet sand. I have an at pro and in the wet sand I have to manually ground balance to get rid of some falsing in wet sand. If I go in the water the wave action makes it pretty tough.

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 250 which I believe is similar to yours. In researching that model I read or saw a video about using it in salt water. Said it would do fine but cut the sensitivity back to 3-4 bars when in the water and it would do fine. Haven't had the chance to try that yet so would like to know how yours works when you get the chance.

Think I would but a baggy or something over the controls to protect from the salt spray as they are not waterproof..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone who has a 150, 250 or 350 tell me if they do OK at beaches?
How about in Ocean water?
Are they at all like the Whites machines (good in dry but lousy when you get near wet ocean sand or in ocean water)?

Exactly the same, as both are Single-frequency VLF machines. In the wet sand or saltwater, you really need multi-frequency or a pulse induction detector.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh this is an easy one, my 350 has a tourette's syndrome-like seizure when i got close to salt water.........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh this is an easy one, my 350 has a tourette's syndrome-like seizure when i got close to salt water.........

I like this post :icon_thumright: You won't have much fun rechecking all the false signals you'll get from those single freq detectors even with the sensitivity turned way down. Remember when someone says their detector works fine at the beach, they might not mean in the wet saltwater sand or in the water. Beaches vary too in the amount of salt and black sand at the shorelines.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use it in the dry sand with no problem above high tide line, in the wet salt sand and in the saltwater your going to get a lot of false signals as it has a very hard time telling the difference between the minerals in the salt and real metal..... If your going to hunt the salt beaches with any kind regularity get a good salt beach detector, if your going to be there once a year then use the Ace you have.......

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,
I think I figured out that it's just like the White's XLT.
Someone asked me and I guess I got my answer.
I hear that it's still a great dirt machine though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread