Garret Ace 250 Pro or Whites Prizm III?

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero
Garret Ace 250 Pro or White's Prizm III?

Hello, I'm new here with the same question many people have... which detector?

I have re-acquired the MD bug after not having an interest in it for awhile. I currently have a White's 4900/DL Max. I originally purchased it before I had internet access (a good 10 years ago), so I didn't have the opportunity to learn from all you knowledgeable folks, so had to more or less learn on my own with not much success.

Anyhow, my landlord has dug up the drive way of the old craftsman house I live in, and I can't wait to get back into the dirt! I'm wanting to trade-in my 4900 (once I can dig it out of the closet) for something else, perhaps easier to use but more importantly not as HEAVY!

I do like the idea of the LCD displays, and depth readers. I live in Southern California, and most of my searching will be at parks, but would also like to search the beaches. My 4900 went crazy in wet sand and from my understanding, most detectors will not do land and wet sand well. You almost need to different detectors.

So.... since I do not detect often, I would like to keep my budget under $300.00. I was considering the Ace 250 Pro, after reading great reviews, but I am also considering the White's Prizm III, but can't find much info on it. Will I become bored with the 250?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Stacey

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Re: Garret Ace 250 Pro or White's Prizm III?

Stacey,

I would opt for the Prizm III. White's Machines are among the best metal detectors.

Check us out over at the White's Forum: http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php

Also, I'm not sure if you are near Trans Bay, but Greg Moscini, one of the Pioneers has a shop there in Trans Bay and he'd be MORE than happy to help you out in finding a good detector for your budget.

Here is his email address: [email protected]

Email him about what you want in a detector, your budget size, and what you want to find with the detector. He'll know exactly what to do!

Ian

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll go against the grain and say the ACE 250 - I've read too many good things about the ACE; I can't recall ever reading or hearing anything negative about that machine.

Good luck in your decision..... ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

cant go wrong with either really. i lean a little towards the 250 though.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd prefer the ACE 250 for myself,but since you started with a Whites you will proably be more pleased with a Prism III. ;) ::) Monty

OP
OP
Chibuya

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used

Thanks for all of your input!

I went with the Ace through Kellyco, they matched an online price for me so got a decent deal. Will be here Tuesday...sigh...

Stacey

D

daniel74868

I just purchased a Garret from Kellyco. they are pretty easy to work with. if you dont like what you get, they will take it back without a problem. i think you made a great choice with the 250 also.

Z

ztzzt

I've had my Ace for about a week and the local dealer suggested the White's. Wish I had spent the money on the White. But that's just me.

OP
OP
Chibuya

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used

Funny, guess it's all in the "hands of the holder". The dealer I went to before purchasing online suggested the Garrett over the White's even though the White's was more expensive.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am a Garrett fan, but I would like to have a Whites DFX some day now that I have a little experience under my belt. And a Minelab too, would like to have one of their top of the line machines. I have a couple of Bounty Hunters and they are nice machines , but I'd like to try a Fisher detector some time as I hear they can't be beat except maybe by a Tesoro? And what about that detector some guy hand builds, people swear by them although I can't think of the brand name right now. Yeah, that might be nice to have unless I want to hunt shallow water and then I rely on my Sea Hunter II, but those fisher CZ something or others kick my butt in club sponsored hunts! Golly gee whilikers, I want 'em all. I wrote santa but he just laughed his a$$ off, that old fat &%%$#*!! Sigh, guess I'll stick with what I have for now, but if any of you need any advice about what you should buy, I'm your daisy. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

detectors are a little like potato chips arent they! its hard to stop at just one! ;D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Monty said:
I am a Garrett fan, but I would like to have a Whites DFX some day now that I have a little experience under my belt. And a Minelab too, would like to have one of their top of the line machines. I have a couple of Bounty Hunters and they are nice machines , but I'd like to try a Fisher detector some time as I hear they can't be beat except maybe by a Tesoro? And what about that detector some guy hand builds, people swear by them although I can't think of the brand name right now. Yeah, that might be nice to have unless I want to hunt shallow water and then I rely on my Sea Hunter II, but those fisher CZ something or others kick my butt in club sponsored hunts! Golly gee whilikers, I want 'em all. I wrote santa but he just laughed his a$$ off, that old fat &%%$#*!! Sigh, guess I'll stick with what I have for now, but if any of you need any advice about what you should buy, I'm your daisy. Monty

;D
Monty,
sound advice ;) ;D

all have a good un.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread