Do you need a backlight for your Garrett Ace detector? I can install custom lighting!

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting closer to Christmas and money is getting tight here. I am just wondering if there would be a niche for me doing this. I am really handy with electronics and thought that some of you may be very interested in what I have made here. If I can get a few of you interested I will start selling my custom install. My backlight spans the whole display so everything is brightly lit. It runs off of your existing batteries. There is a small toggle switch for the backlight on the backside of the detector just past where the headphone plug sits. I will offer several colors of backlighting. I am willing to start installing them at 40$, all you pay is to ship it to me with 40$ and I will ship it back at no extra cost. I only want to accept work on out of warranty detectors as I am in no way licensed by nor do I work for Garrett. If I was to work on your detector your warranty would and will be voided! I am not an authorized retailer nor am I certified to work on Garrett detectors. If you are interested we will work out a payment arrangement and then you can ship it to me.
:wav::wav:
I will only require the box of the detector. I will not need the shaft or coil to test this.
All you will need is a Phillips screwdriver. Remove your headphones and unplug the coil from the head of the detector. Flip it over and you will see 2 phillips screws on the back side just unscrew those and the display compartment will come off.
188512_417260881676485_766321288_n.jpg leds.jpg

:wav::wav:

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great Idea, over the weekend I was wondering about this addition, or upgrading my machine. You look kind of funny at 4 am swinging a detector and a flashlight.

Best of luck in your venture,
Bill

OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other night my buddy didn't get off of work until 5 and we hunted till it got dark and he was ready to leave the park. I gave him my extra flashlight and we went on for about an hour. He didn't find anything of value until it was pitch black outside. We decided to hit the grass next to the tot lot ...that has been hit by hundreds of detectorists. First he pulled out a 1899 Indian head cent. 2 minutes later and 3 foot over he pulled out a 1889 v nickel and in another 3 foot he found a 1919 wheatie. Just goes to show some of the best work is done after dark.

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but when your spotted digging holes in the ground in the dark the odds of meeting the police go up dramatically! lol

I was thinking of doing the same sort of mod to my ACE 350 but not until its out of warranty. TheElementofSand good looking mod - have you noticed if this helps in the daylight when there is a glare on screen having the backlighting? If so you might post some pic or vid of that as well.

OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back lighting does not make it any more visible during the day. It is getting really dark around here at 6PM and the parks are open to the public until 11PM. So why not stay an extra hour or two and enjoy the hunt without all the visual distractions of the bustling people and traffic.

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean about it getting dark early. I generally work a 10a - 6p schedule so its getting dark by the time I get off work or soon thereafter. Its also getting cold. I'm a couple hours drive south of Indy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread