Question about "Replica" coins

Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a beginning coin collector with an interest in Biblical coins. I purchased a set of replica coins from Coins of the Bible and I must say I am delighted with these coins, even though they are all replicas.

I would never be able to afford to own any of these actual coins, so I decided to purchase this set of "replica's". They are advertised as "museum quality" and I would have to agree with that, except that each coin has the word "REPLICA" stamped into the back side.

This set is perfect to share with other Bible students while studying how coins impacted people in Biblical times, and I for one am happy for sets like this to be available.

My question is I hear much talk about how replicas are bad for "real" coin collectors, and I am curious as to how a collection that is plainly marked as replicas and used for illustrative or educational purposes could have an impact on people collecting the actual coins, as long as the replicas are marked as such indelibly and the creator is obviously not attempting to pass them off as the "real thing".

Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a beginning coin collector with an interest in Biblical coins. I purchased a set of replica coins from Coins of the Bible and I must say I am delighted with these coins, even though they are all replicas.

I would never be able to afford to own any of these actual coins, so I decided to purchase this set of "replica's". They are advertised as "museum quality" and I would have to agree with that, except that each coin has the word "REPLICA" stamped into the back side.

This set is perfect to share with other Bible students while studying how coins impacted people in Biblical times, and I for one am happy for sets like this to be available.

My question is I hear much talk about how replicas are bad for "real" coin collectors, and I am curious as to how a collection that is plainly marked as replicas and used for illustrative or educational purposes could have an impact on people collecting the actual coins, as long as the replicas are marked as such indelibly and the creator is obviously not attempting to pass them off as the "real thing".

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that at all. Replicas/Reproductions do have a place, and you have found it, it's fakes with no markings that are meant to, or could, deceive people that is the problem. Just look at all the other things that there is replicas of.... not every space museum can own a space shuttle can they. So yes, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Personally I consider it a waste of money, but that's because it would serve no purpose to me.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replica coins themselves are not the problem. The problem is when they are actual counterfeits (unmarked) and are sold by unsuspecting, or unscrupulous people as the real deal. I've heard talk on this forum I believe about rare coins being counterfeited in China and sold here. A collector could lose some serious money and unfortunately there are always people out there looking to swindle someone else.

OP
OP
B
Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

I have just heard negative things about "replicas" in coin collecting forums, so I thought I would ask here and get an opinion from a more general perspective.

A I said, these coins are beautiful, and since they meet my need I feel they were well worth the price, especially since they came with such a nice, complete hardbound historical reference book.

Thank you very much for you comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread