Where is the best starting point for detecting an old house/yard?

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
driveway front door and back.try close trees to the house. :)

T

TheDetectorist

I've hunted a lot of old homes, and I've never found any consistant location. Yard hot-spots vary from house to house.

TD

W

whites XLT

I would start in the front in one corner, work acorss & back to the house & do same around sides & back.
Be shure to check the parking strip if it has one around any walkways, doors look for a place where kid's
might have played, look for a depression that might have been an out house look for sand that might've
been a sandbox ;)

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey
I would start in one corner, and make an "X" pattern, and do the same, but make a "+" pattern. My Grandpa used to tell me that that is how he used to hide money in his yard during the whole "not trusting bank" days.....That is how he'd remember where he hid his stash's, always a certain number of steps "off center"......Also, his garden was a big one...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 305

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
some hotspots i would check are
by the clothsline
the path to the outhouse
the path to any other outbuildings
by the front and back doors
by any large tree or rock or other landmark in the yard.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
I always start with the oldest tree that can be seen from the kitchen window.
Then pace out from the 4 corners. But, that's just me :)
Good luck!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hot spot in the area of those old foundations is usually where you least expect it to be. As stated above the obvious areas are front door, back door, driveway, clothes lines, old trees or stumps etc. but if this area has been hunted hard before these areas are likely to have been gone over many times before. Not a good reason to ignore those areas for no area is hunted out, but I would hit the whole yard..use a grid pattern so you are least likely to miss something, but you never know where something sweet may show up...could be anywhere, for someone else may have just hit the obvious areas and ignored the rest of the area missing out on who knows what...:) Good luck and look forward to some great posts from what you find there....:)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First spot to check is near the fuse box if there is one. Coins would be there for placing in the sockets for the fuse. It's one place that has worked for me a few times.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If only limited time to hunt a house site here's where I'd hunt:

First: along the sidewalks (front and back)
Second: Under the clothes line...easy if the two poles are still standing...if not...go to the back and side yard and look for trees that have a scare ring around them about 6' high where the wire may have once been attached and the tree grew up around it.
Third: Around the big tree in the front and back yard...people would have sat under it, kid played around it or climbed in it.

Then, as time permits start working grid patterns across the yard.

SCdigger

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these have been noted but I have had great success under trees, under the clothes line, near the front door and in or around the outhouse! Good luck.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A little research goes a long way. Who lived there and what did they do? Is there an area where workers may have taken breaks to eat their lunch? Was there an outbuilding on the prorperty? Were there any legends about the old owners of the house? These are just a few questions I would ask myself.

I did not see the outhouse mentioned. This was a place where the drawers were dropped and a good spot for loose change. It was also a great hiding spot for the family savings. Back in the day before modern transportation, banks were not convenient, and even after the automobile became commonplace, banks were not trusted. Many times a tin can might have been placed into the hole! Use no discrimination when searching for this type of cache. A tin can filled with paper currency and/or silver dollars will read as junk. Be very careful when searching for this type of cache. Fumes from excrement that have been covered for 50 years can be very unpleasant and extremely toxic!

One other place I have been succesful is the rural mailbox. In the good ole days change was left in the mailbox for the mailman to send a letter. Sometimes this would fall into the tall grass surrounding the box.

S

stefen

One place not mentioned is to check where they parked their cars (and tractors).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashleen said:
I always start with the oldest tree that can be seen from the kitchen window.
Then pace out from the 4 corners. But, that's just me :)
Good luck!

This answer is Closest to mine.

I always start with the oldest tree.
Not necessarily where, just as long as it's the Oldest.
then along all walkways.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
If you are out west I would first start where the outhouse once was. I have recovered a few old pistols and a lot of old coins but make sure it is dryed up first ;D ;D.
Peg Leg

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
First spot to check is near the fuse box if there is one. Coins would be there for placing in the sockets for the fuse. It's one place that has worked for me a few times.

Sandman...now that is one spot I never thought of, and you;re right...pennies were used all the time for fuses...I;ve found a couple of old Large Cents that were cut to fit the fuse box....hate finding damaged coins like that..:( Great tip and one I'm sure to remember...thanks for passing it along. Never too old to learn new tricks... ;D

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
The best starting point is the distance from where you park your car or truck to the yard your going to search. Just get out there and start putting that coil to the soil. If your want to start hitting something right off the bat...look for the rear of the house and where the clothes line may have been.

Woodsie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread