maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think a gun safe will keep anything safe, especially from a fire. If there is danger in the bank being broken, why not try an auction or try to buy one used. Just make sure it is heavy enough, or can be bolted down. I think heavy is better, so not one of these new electronic safes, which can be carried away, and even if they are bolted, a good wrecking bar can ripe it off the wall or floor.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hide your valuables in the bottom of a Brillo box, no one will look there :thumbsup: :laughing7:

Well, that is unless you having a cleaning lady :tongue3:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont think a gun safe will keep anything safe, especially from a fire. If there is danger in the bank being broken, why not try an auction or try to buy one used. Just make sure it is heavy enough, or can be bolted down. I think heavy is better, so not one of these new electronic safes, which can be carried away, and even if they are bolted, a good wrecking bar can ripe it off the wall or floor.

What makes you say that. A friends house burned completely to the ground, because he was outside the fire district, so all that was left was the foundation some pipes and the safe. the guns inside were still useable, although the wood was damaged, but he still shoots them. I don't know if paper would have burned, but the safe wasn't worthless. One thing though, he had a terrible time getting the darn thing open, because the combination didn't work after the fire.

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certain gun safes will give you an hr or more of burn time. That is pretty good compared to other safes I've seen. Protex seems to make a nice smaller safe. Btw, "breaking the bank" would be anything over $1000. I have options, was more or less looking for direction from people who currently own a safe. Actually thought there would be more ppl using safes chiming in considering the potential value of our possessions.

bukit

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just bought a gun safe that can withstand a 1300 degree fire for 75 minutes. $600.00. i live in a trailer so if it catches fire it will probably be over in 10 minutes:laughing7:

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in a trailer so if it catches fire it will probably be over in 10 minutes:laughing7:

That is seeing the silver lining! That price point is nice too. Mind me asking what brand?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought several safes on Ebay......the older ones are often reasonable, and built extremely well. Look for a class "A'" fire rating.

I bought 3 huge double door class a's for less than $600.00 each. Of course you have to move them, the big ones are on heavy wheels, I rent a tandem axle tilt bed trailer, roll 'em on, roll 'em off. I weighed the last on on a gravel pit scales, just over 4,000 lbs. No one is gonna walk off with it especially with the added weight of your valuables.

Most of the new gun safes are just a steel box lined with drywall. My buddies house burned down, he had one like this, and his stuff was toast.

The older ones have thick walls with multiple layers of steel and fire ******ant (probably asbestos).

Search Diebold and Mosler on Ebay, if you take a few months, you can find a good deal. Good Luck.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just looked on ebay at floor safes and there are some really nice ones. They ranged from current bid of 99 cents to asking $2500. The one for 99 cents is in FL and is huge but there are still 6 days left in the auction. The $2500 one is a safe trunk that looks really old and very cool. There was also one that was buy now for $1200 that has a pailing of a ship on the front that you can make an offer on. May take $800 or so.

Good luck

NJ

doc holiday

Greenie
Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy one with an electronic lock---when the ballon goes up and there are no more batteries you can't open them.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 2 nice floor safes. One at an estate sale for 150 and another at a local goodwill store for 125. They are out there if you look hard enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread