NEED HELP. JUST BOUGHT A 1942 HOUSE, YARD SUPER TRASHY.

bryguy5

May 26, 2010
Portland, OREGON
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ-5
So we just moved into our new house, which was built in 1942. First thought in my head was, sweet!, private hunting ground. So one day the rain finally stopped for a few hours, I took my 10 year old boy out in our back yard, he has a bounty hunter, and I use an older fisher cz5, the yard looks like they had a couple of trash burn piles scattered around the yard.(burnt remnants in piles, including metal objects, such as wire and so on). Anyway, no matter where you swing beep, beep, beep. so trashy hard to find a solid signal anywhere. dug 2 clad penny's. So my question is, dig up everything? which would pretty much destroy my yard, get a different detector or smaller coil? I thought about marking off a 10 foot square and trying to pick the area clean just to see what I come up with. any thoughts appreciated thanks.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your backyard lawn nicely manicured? If it is, try a very slow sweep speed and higher disc. and dig only solid repeatable signals. If it is not, you could try digging and sifting a small area to see what is there. Most likely lots of nails, and small iron scrap and aluminum. They key is going slow and "cherry picking" the good sounds.

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live on a place much like yours and I think you have already hit on your options. In a really trashy situation there's sometimes not much to do except start digging targets. As trash is removed you will find more good targets. Getting a 5" coil for your CZ 5 will help separate out signals, of course. Gridding off a spot and working it clean before moving to another spot is good too. In my case I went nuts and bought a (used) Minelab E-trac. I haven't regretted it. There are a fair number of them available on the used market at decent prices now that Minelab has come out with the CTX 3030. The E-trac is amazingly good at separating out targets once you know what it's telling you. The read out gives each target two numbers. If the first number isn't a "12" I keep moving. I know I'm leaving behind some good stuff but I'm pulling out the coins and pull tabs. I plan to go back later and do another search for jewelry using a wider set of search parameters. That's the advantage of owning the property, we can take our time. And think of all the money you will save by not burning gasoline to get to detecting spots! :icon_thumright:

Good Luck! It sounds like you have a great place to hunt. The fact that there is so much trash is also a good indicator that the place hasn't been hunted before.

Storm

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pick an area. Dig everything.... EVERYTHING! As it starts to clean out, you will begin to find goodies. It is your place.... no hurry. Give the area a chance to recover and grow again. Rope off a 10 by 10 area and HIT it till no signals. Try between the back door and parking area. Around the front porch. Under the large tree in the front yard... or where it would have been. JimB, Alpha105, TimC, and I hunted a house north of Milwaukee. The house was built mid 1850s. The pic showed a tree in front that was no longer there. I hunted where the tree would have been and found a V nickel. Keep at it! TTC

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my house was built in the 30's and came across a few good finds until the wife put a stop to that. Now I use allot of disc and mark the spots I KNOW will be good with a stick in the ground. I pass over them once and awhile wondering whats down there and thats keeps it interesting.

PS, never has much luck in my own yard with plugs that will re grow and blamed the dead grass on our dog (pee) but, the wife saw through that.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I'd start out with the discrimination cranked up in the hopes of finding some coins. It may help find the recreational parts of the yard vs where old burning pits were. Also I'd bet a lot of the trash is iron and no sense digging that all up unless you are into relics and nails.

If you start finding coins in an area, then lower discrimination.

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find the bottle dump, the home i grew up in was built in late 20's -- there were two depressions in the asphalt driveway as a kid we used to fill them up with the garden hose and let the sun warm them up and we'd play in them, fast forward 35 years later and my sister build an addition on to the house which cut right through the drive-way and what were the depressions? they were the bottle and can dumps that had settled, most homes back there have a bottle dump, look for a depression.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I live on a farm that hes been occupied for most of 200 years. The original house is gone and the foundation was filled. I found it by accident when I was getting signals on WWII uniform buttons. Below those were some type of tokens. Your finds will be endless and better as you go down, layer by layer. Happy Hunting. Frank

coins_0013 token sq_edited-1.jpg coins_0014 token round_edited-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread