Quirky Coin Facts

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Why do some coins have smooth rims and others have rims that look like sawteeth?

Why is our paper money all the same size, but our coins all different sizes?

What two United States coins existed at the same time and were worth the same amount, but looked completely different and even had different names?

And what does this dateless buffalo nickel have to do with this show?

These questions and more are answered in the latest edition of In the Treasure Corner.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Our paper money has shrunk in size and value. I remember the big boys.
Believe me, it's more than two different coins with the same value that are different. It's getting to the point where anything can pass for a quarter.
The Indian is the last of the Mohekians, that is why he is Dateless. lol
Frank, Just having fun. coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Our paper money has shrunk in size and value. I remember the big boys.

Good grief, you must be OLD! We switched to the smaller bills in 1929!

Believe me, it's more than two different coins with the same value that are different. It's getting to the point where anything can pass for a quarter.

Yes, lots of quarters with different designs, but they are all the same size and made of the same metal. What I'm talking about is a time when we had two coins with the same face value, but different names, different metals, and different sizes.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess a 3 cent nic an a 3 cent silver

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who says our bills have shrunk in size. This is an unusual shape for an 1875 quarter.

DSCN0760.JPG DSCN0761.JPG

1875 "Walker" note. Face value 25 cents.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that werked got thanks good sir,, i had forgotten about half dimes

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1. Reeded edges were put on silver and gold coins to prevent clipping and shaving of the precious metal, which would undervalue the coin. By reeding the edge, it's easy to see which coins have less of the precious metal content.

2. Paper money used to be backed by gold and silver but is no longer. Since there is no self-inherent value, there is no need for adjusted sizes. Coins used to contain their value, and 10c in silver weighs less than 25c, which weighs less than $1, and so on. Same with gold. That the metal has changed to alloy doesn't mean they changed the dimensions, which were probably retained for practical reasons. Cents were reduced in size to save money on minting costs.

3. Silver half dimes and five-cent nickels (1866 - 1873); silver 3c and nickel 3c (1865 - 1868); gold dollars and silver Seated/Trade dollars (1849 - 1889).

4. Don't know, didn't listen to it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread