Elk meat

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My 13 year old grandson got a youth tag for a cow elk. Dad took him hunting today, and grandpa and grandma have a rear quarter of elk hanging in the shop. Going to be some good eating, I love elk meat, and we're proud of the kid.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as ya should be.........lucky kid!!!Tule I presume?
Mine had to come from Montana again this year

Big congrats to both of ya by the way!!

Last edited:

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of places that are starti to serve elk on the menu

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whupps, hit send before I was done...

Elk burgers, steaks, and stews are all available now. 10 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find it anywhere near GB WI. I prefer it to any of the venison we've harvested. Wisconsin venison can be extremely gamey and you never know what comes out of the processers. I've had sausages taste like the smell of the deers backside.
Good on you to get the younger dude involved in the outdoors. Can't wait til my little guys can come with.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
as ya should be.........lucky kid!!!Tule I presume?
Mine had to come from Montana again this year

Big congrats to both of ya by the way!!

Roosevelt in western Oregon, once over the Cascades they are Rocky Mountain Elk, same as you get from Montana. The Roosevelt elk look the same, they are just a lot larger.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Elk meat huh :icon_scratch: Does it taste like chicken :dontknow: :laughing7:

No Spart, it tastes way better than chicken, I'd say it comes closer to tasting like spotted owl or perhaps bald eagle.:dontknow:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roosevelt in western Oregon, once over the Cascades they are Rocky Mountain Elk, same as you get from Montana. The Roosevelt elk look the same, they are just a lot larger.
Yep,I have tried for 13 years to get a Roosevelt tag.Ran an Elk outfitting business for 15.......thought you were still in the "plains",where the Tule's are :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Spart, it tastes way better than chicken, I'd say it comes closer to tasting like spotted owl or perhaps bald eagle.:dontknow:

More like whooping crane........

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confused ......I thought chicken taste like elk meat....not visa versa:icon_scratch:

kdbrich

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 13 year old grandson got a youth tag for a cow elk. Dad took him hunting today, and grandpa and grandma have a rear quarter of elk hanging in the shop. Going to be some good eating, I love elk meat, and we're proud of the kid.

Cool! I got my first deer this past December at age 39....never understood how cool it would feel to shoot and harvest my own deer. Can't imagine if I'd have a chance to get an elk.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
'Never could understand why them flatlanders are down there eatin beef when they could be up here eatin elk.'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread