Reccomendation

eddieg

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2012
Hi.

My 10y/o daughter is interested in a metal detector. My budget is $200.00 and I think I've narrowed my search to the Garrett Ace 250 and the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. The Bounty Hunter is really inexpensive and I want to know if this is a good detector for a beginner. We will be using it at the beach and parks/playgrounds.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both as I have 7 grandchildren. Both detectors work great at the playgrounds, but they always fight over the bounty hunter for what that is worth.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked into the Tesoro Compadre?

They have 1 simple on knob/discrimination knob.
It is very light weight. Lighter then the ones you said which will make her hunting easier and more fun for her.
They are also extremely good at finding small gold items. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Call the forum sponsors here for the best price.

Whoops, Terry must have typed faster than me. ;)

OP
OP
E

eddieg

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2012
Between the Tesoro or Fisher which old you buy? Other than weight why these over the Bounty Hunter or Garrett?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would buy the Compadre over all of the other machines, because it is the easiest to use and is just as deep and sensitive to gold jewelry and coins as the others. It will hold its value, and always be in your tool bag.

OP
OP
E

eddieg

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2012
P s. how about the Tesoro Silver if I raise my budget? For a beginner is it worth the extra $50?

OP
OP
E

eddieg

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2012
Another question. How about coil size and the ability to change coils? And what is a pin pointer and do I need one? Are they universal?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, The F2 will false on WET saltwater sand - but so will all other single frequency VLF metal detectors. The Compadre is "hardwired" so there is no changing coils. If this is for your Daughter, then no, just stay with the cheaper, easier to use machine.

OP
OP
E

eddieg

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2012
More info. It will not be JUST for my daughter. It will be for us to do together.
Does this change your suggestion any?

Thank you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More info. It will not be JUST for my daughter. It will be for us to do together.
Does this change your suggestion any?

Thank you.

Silver uMax

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread