tyrooney

Dec 27, 2012
southern california
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need any and all comments please.

I am considering purchasing another detector. I have mainly hunted parks to this point using a Garrett ace 250 with a DD 9x12 coil.

I am open to other brands and want to get a machine with a TDI readout. I am looking at the Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Safari, and Whites MXT.

Your experience with these detectors or others will be appreciated. I have done some research online as well (hours).

Attached are pics of a couple of my finds.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 101

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is a very big question - everybody who replies (myself included ) is biased toward a detector or two . I have been using a
White's MXT for about 7/8 years now , and I really like it . It is easy to learn - like you -I prefer the 9x5 DD coil for nearly every hunt .
the small 6x4 "sniper " coil is nice for trash separation in campgrounds and parks - I'm primarily a coin/jewelry hunter , and mostly
hunting urban parks . I've heard great things about e-trac (minelab) but they are pricey ! Argentium.

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After being a Garrett fan for many years and a firm believer in using very little discrimination and digging every target, I recently became intrigued by the claims made for the Minelab E-Trac and CTX-3030. I found a used E-Trac and bought it along with the book by Andy Sabisch. Since the CTX-3030 came out the price of a used E-Trac has come down a bit. I've got to say that this "old school" detectorist is very impressed with the machine. Before buying I had been warned that the E-Trac is hard to learn. I didn't find that to be the case. While it's true the detector doesn't have icons and pointers that say "Nickle", "Dime", and so on it does give you two numbers, Fe(rrous) and Co(ductive), as well as different audible tones that give you information about what's under the coil. The position of a symbol on the LCD screen also serves to confirm what the other two signals are telling you. Minelab provided several pre-set discrimination programs to get you started and these can be tweaked and then saved. So while there isn't a pointer telling me that what's beneath the coil is a copper penny (or something else with the same conductivity) if the E-Trac gives me 12-44 (the second number may change a bit from penny to penny depending on depth and time in the ground) combined with a relatively high-pitched tone I can be pretty certain it's a penny. In fact, the other day I got such a data set and when I dug the first thing I found was aluminum foil. I thought the machine had been fooled. Then I re-scanned the hole and still got the signal so I dug deeper and from a depth of 7" I recovered a wheat penny. The detector was telling the truth after all. The other thing the E-Trac has going for it is depth. I can't believe how deep this thing works. I am currently working an old church yard that I had previously covered with my Garrett Ace 250 and I'm coming up with coins the 250 failed to detect because they were too deep. So while it's more expensive than many other detectors it's also probably the last detector I'll ever need. That cuts down the price sting a lot.

Hope this has been helpful.
Storm

OP
OP
T

tyrooney

Dec 27, 2012
southern california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your probably right about the meaningful advice Lol. I guess i could have asked how people like the detectors they use.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyrooney said:
Your probably right about the meaningful advice Lol. I guess i could have asked how people like the detectors they use.

I think that would be everyone The F-75 for me

Last edited:

rogerconley

Jan 2, 2013
GILMER, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 250, GARRETT 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had the opportunity to use a variety of brands, but I seem to do well with my Garrett 1350. I may upgrade one day. But don't know what it would be.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a Bounty Hunter 505 & I thought it was awesome. I cringed at the thought of spending alot of money on a detector, but eventually decided to take the plunge. I bought a Garrett AT Pro. It was a mid-level price, & after some time to learn what the detector was telling me, I couldn't believe all the stuff I was finding that the 505 missed! Those little quiet tones often led to coins buried deep below the 505's capabilities & I could "sort" them out of the trash if I was slow and careful. I will admit the AT Pro feels a little hefty to me, but I really like the waterproof design. I can keep on plugging away in the rain, etc.
I really liked what Stormrider had to say about the E-Trac though. It does peak my curiosity..... I wonder how the heft of it compare to the AT Pro?
At any rate, these guys are all correct. You will get a thousand different answers from a thousand different detectorists, I'm afraid.
Good luck, whatever you choose!

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett AT weighs in at 3.03 lbs while the E-Trac goes 3.5 lbs so the edge goes to the Garrett in the weight department. On the other hand I've used both and the ET feels lighter. Weight won't matter in the end. Your muscles will develop and you will stop noticing the weight. You should try one of the old detectors with the metal boxes and heavy coils! Those things were a workout.
Storm

OP
OP
T

tyrooney

Dec 27, 2012
southern california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Safari which is a little simpler than the e-trac.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If PREFERRED means most popular, then you already have it. The 250 is written as the most popular machine (sales) in the world. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread