l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there certainly are deeper seeking detectors, there are plenty of old coins to be found that are not deep. I have found a large cent at 1 inch, a Barber quarter right on top of the ground, and many Indian cents ,V nickels etc. within 4 inches. Many places have been searched before with a lot of the old coins recovered, look for out of the way little known places. Keep at it, you will find them.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
my advise would be to slow down. if you feel like you are crawling along you are going too fast! overlap all of your swings by at least a half.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
If your looking in parks, be prepared to dig a lot of clad before you find anything old. ALOT of clad. Most parks have been hit pretty hard over the years, especially if its a very old park.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I agree there are piles of older coins pretty close to the surface in many areas,it has a lot to do with where you are searching. I try and hunt the oldest possible areas and am finally starting to dig older coins fairly consistantly. Old abandoned or demolished homes will always yield coins,especially near the driveways,under the clothesline and anywhere that kids played alot. Im sure your detector is picking up coins deeper than you are finding them. When coins are a little bit deeper the sound of them is a lot fainter,may just barely beep on your detector,what you want is a sound you can repeat consistantly even if only in one direction and of course the target should be deep enough to justify the deteriorated sounds. I used to only dig clear repeatable sounds so I was usually digging the louder sounds and found almost exclusively newer coins,now I lower my tone standards dependant upon depth the target is reading. If you plan to keep using that machine seriously you should read everything you can find in forums on the net,this has helped me tremendously since ive never had anyone help me in person and have only detected with others on a couple of occasions. Think of yourself as trapped on an island and the MD is the only weapon you have and coins and relics are the only things available to hunt.
Above all else the spots you choose to hunt are the real determining factors with regard to the items you will find,if people werent there dropping stuff years ago the items will never be there. If you find yourself getting frustrated at the older sites go hunt some clad at playgrounds,ballfields,fairgrounds,outdoor ampitheaters,ect... Finding some good easy targets will put you back into the right frame of mind,its been a pretty good crutch for me during the learning process. Then come home and checkout the todays finds this will fire you up to go back to the old places,over time you will find yourself spending more and more time at the older places as well as making more finds. Stay with it and dont give up and try and give some of the little bitty sounds a dig now and then...Shoot

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find silver, you have to go to places likely to hold silver - most local parks (any city) have been pounded to death over the past 35 years or so.

Hit up old homesteads, churches and long forgotten playgrounds, don't worry too much about depth, most coins are 8" and above......

HH/NS

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I agree, there are plenty of silver coins 8" and up. I personally have not found one deeper than about 7". It's all about location and to some degree, being in the right spot, at the right angle and at the right sweep........I'll call it a lucky situation. Also, expect to dig alot of clad for each silver coin you find. Personally, with a motion detector where you have to swing, I don't concentrate much on swing speed, as a matter of fact, I think sweeping a little faster helps pick up the signal, but do make it a habit to overlap as tightly as possible, especially when you are in an area where you have found silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread