Hatfield-McCoy artifacts pinpoint cabin location...hhmmm

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, whatcha think? A few 19th century bullets, charred wood and ceramic fragments enough to make a good case?

Artifacts help pinpoint key Hatfield-McCoy battle | Fox News

Well, I pretty much lost all faith those archeologists must know what they are looking at. Just read that article. A few bits of broken glass, some charred wood and a "period" nail do not a homestead make. Every homesite of that era is littered with junk, mason jar lids, trash, nails, spent rifle casings etc, etc, etc. A few bullets in a 30 foot area in a hillside in front of the house? You have to be kidding me! I shoot that much in a hillside next to my house all the time. And only in a 30 foot area? Not much of a "battle", sounds more like a target set up on the hill. I sure do hope there is more to this story than is being written about here because this old boy smells a load of B.S.

And I hope you "Diggers" dudes have more to go in your show than this article. If not you just lost all street cred from anyone who has ever swung a detector in a late 1800's homesite.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
aquachigger is right: If the archies had an inkling of knowledge as to how many such targets, are EVERYWHERE, they would realize that finding a few such items, don't mean much of anything. Heck, any of us md'rs can find spent & unspent lead, etc... just about anywhere human activity occurred. Beaches, old farm-sites, old picnic sites, etc....

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Agreed. Keep in mind this is from Fox News though. They are more about entertainment and sensationalism rather than news. Sort of like the American Diggers. Those boys are just idiots disguised as metal detectorists.

diggy

Jan 4, 2013
bucks county, pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everytime i see this silver seated qtr. on ebay counterstamped mccoy i think the same thing hummmmmm. yeah jeff american digger is the biggest scripted fake looking reality show ever. no wonder noone gives em permission to dig look at the guys.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify my statement... I am not disparaging the show or the diggers in it. I'm just a little upset that the producers "might" be preparing to announce the discovery of the actual house site when, based on the FOX news story, there "ain't no way" that is the house. Any detectorist (or archeologist) that has ever dug an 1880's home site would recognize this immediately. I think it's a travesty to publish this as historic fact. Finding a "lost" cannon in a farm pond like on the "Boom Baby" show is one thing, but to promote this fantasy as actual American history, is just plain wrong for so many reasons.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Precisely why I don't watch their crap. It's just BS, and they get excited and stick ridicules prices on their phoney finds. They act like a square nail is worth a hundred bucks, and if that was true, I'd have a secretary typing this dictation. Folks, I've been in the video business, and nothing is real, repeat, nothing is real. In the movies and on TV, nothing is real, and the way they play the phoney game, I'm not going to watch their crap. Those guys in the show are on a pay roll, and they do what they are told by a director and producer, that neither one knows nothing of the real world, just making video and sales, and they think they know what sells, you can't tell them otherwise, and in fact they don't care what any of us think, they aren't gearing the show to us, they are fleecing money from the great illiterate voting masses of this country, and in the process screwing up our hobby.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
im not an archie,but i wonder about the ash,my GG-uncles place burned in 1901,in w.va
it was built in the 1880s,3 rooms an a loft, he built another house on a peice of his sons
property,anyway everyone in fam knew where it had been,i went looking around there, i
think i was 10-11 yr old, early 60s and it was easy to find the stuff left in it, pots ect. were
laying,in the leaf debris and the tree and brush that took over,the ash was about 2-3 inch down

found this
“My father told me years ago that someday this well would talk,” Scott said, referring to the well on the site where Randolph McCoy’s daughter Alafair died while trying to flee the attackers.
Now backed by the discovery, Scott plans to capitalize on the historic 70-acre site near the West Virginia line. The options include a housing development featuring horseback and ATV trails, he said.
Scott’s home is about 75 yards from where the cabin stood. The McCoys moved to nearby Pikeville after the homestead was burned.
The artifacts were found last year during filming of a National Geographic Channel show.
Unearthed artifacts help pinpoint key Hatfield-McCoy family battle in eastern Kentucky - NY Daily News

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I once found a wagon that had burned. I could tell because the charred remains of the frame were laid out in a rectangle with the hubs, bolts and some rigging bits all in place so I can imagine that a occupied cabin that burned would present far more evidence to identify it. Another thing that makes me wonder. If this is a McCoy cabin, why is it on Hatfield land now? I guess the archies figure that their guesstimations should be considered facts. Frank

Barns 017.jpg

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. I was excited by the article but after reading the above posts, see allot of points...I guess you can't find a tree in a field and call it a forest.

As for the show, never watched it but, would like to catch one to check it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread