Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,
I am new here to this site as well as to metal detecting. I have an old White's Classic II that I have had for years. I have used it mainly for parks, schoolyards, etc. I have taken it to the beach a time or two and it worked"ok". Anyway, I am considering a new(er) detector. And like everyone , I want a single detector that does everything and I want it for the least amount possible :-)
Actually, here is my situation. We recently bought a vacation home on the coast of NC. I plan to spend quite a bit of time at the coast and hopefully doing some metal detecting there. I would like to work on dry sand as well as wet sand but, no diving or wading. I would also still like to be able to go to a local park, schoolyard, or open field. I am not a die-hard detectorist. I am wide open for a few months and go several times a week, then nothing for a few months.
So, what detector or detectors would you recommend? I would kinda like to spend less than $500(new or used) but that is not set in stone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always tell newcomers to decide what type of detecting they most want to do as a first step. It sounds like you have done that. Then they can research and find the detector that will best do what they want done. It would help if you can contact a detecting club in your area. Members are usually happy to let you try their detector and nothing beats hands-on experience. Asking questions on a forum like this is good but you are going to get about as many answers as there are members. I used almost nothing but Garrett machines for many years. I recently bought a Minelab E-Trac and am in love with the darned thing. I'm still learning to understand what it is telling me but I'm stunned at what the machine is capable of. Others will sing the praises of whatever their favorite machine is. If you don't mind my saying, I'd start with what you have. It's a decent machine and will make good finds for you. Take time to try out different machines. Most dealers have demo models and a target garden so you can see how their machines work and like I said, see if there is a club in your area.

Have fun,
Storm

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Mike, and Welcome from White Plains, New York. With a $500.00 budget, you can goof around in the wet saltwater sand with a single frequency VLF machine, but you'll need a multi-fequency machine for serious wet sand detecting. I suggest you start with a dry sand, land machine, like a Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. or a Minelab X-Terra 505 X-TERRA 505 | Minelab Adventure Metal Detectors To break into the multi-freq machines, you need at least $900-$1,200.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread