Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit it with you're SHOVEL? WHAT!!!

SO you just hit one of you're most awesome finds with the shovel :BangHead: ???

What was it??? Mine happen in 1999 when I basically broke an OVM plate in Ansted, West Virginia with the force of "Oh it's another shotgun shell" type attitude! ??? we all make mistakes but some are just worse than others.. :icon_scratch:

Happy Hunting all !! :hello2:

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Volunteer Militia.. Ansted, West VA had a fairly large Ohio camp near Hawks Nest dam. :piratehand:

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously almost threw the detector over a 100 feet cliff and then on the way home i was thinking of just driving til i ran out of gas then walk the rest of the 150 miles home :dontknow: If you want a good spot to do some detecting try around Hawks Nest dam in Ansted, WV there are more OVM's to be found. :occasion14: (IT's state park land now, if they catch you with a metal detector they say "What's yah find? oh thats kewl, well we really dont allow detecting but i guess you can finish up for the day but please we dont allow it" in other words. ITS all good! :icon_thumleft:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully that horrible mistake will teach you to be more careful with ALL future digs. Never get complacent on target recovery. My worst mistake was hacking a walking liberty half. After digging about a half dozen crushed cans, all of them reading as 1/2 dollars, I got one more while walking back to my truck. Learned my lesson and haven't scratched another half dollar since!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is safe to say we have all done it.....still a bitter pill to swallow. Always seems to be on the good stuff.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I chopped a nice heavy 24k necklace right in half once.... nearly cut a silver chain in half last year, but I saw it just in time.....

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
quite frankly, with my luck, I would love to hit ANYTHING with a shovel...

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in England hunting under a huge 200+ yr old oak tree. The field had been plowed.
I got a huge signal and figured it was a large aluminum can. I dug a hole about 2 ft deep
and kept getting the signal. Finally I realized the signal was on the side of the hole at about
8 inches. It was a.1652 Silver Shilling from King James the (?). It was the size of a US half. But...
When I looked at it, I had scratched it ever so slightly. bummer!
Also scratched a nice silver cigarette case I found in a local park. My advice....
Dig the soda can signals wide and.carefully.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread