Researched sites and who you should bring.

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everybody! Just venting a bit about something that is bothering me. I have a buddy whom I learned and received my detector and knowledge from. He's a great guy, don't get me wrong. But the thing is I've only detected with him starting out, I've learned my machine so far that I'm finding great things. So of course I'm looking for other buddies to detect with. So far I've met 2 guys to detect with besides my teacher/friend who got me into the hobby. The one guy lives in PA and was here for the day so I took him to one of my spots, he did good and I made a good friend. My other friend is younger, and started out with a ace 250 dd coil, he did pretty good his first season. He upgraded to a T2 and is learning the machine. What is bothering me is I do a lot of research to find the good old spots and take my mentor along to these sites first when I go. Well he swings a Etrac and finds mad silver with that thing:notworthy: And yes I do get jealous, but I have found things he has walked over. The thing that has me bothered is I took my younger friend to a spot, and he wasn't doing so good, he's still learning his new machine. So I thought i'd take him to the park that gave up 5 silver for me last yr and 5 silver for my mentor last yr. My mentor called when we were at the first spot and asked how I was doing. i told him i was at the school site, and was detecting with Matt. Now this is what has me bothered:sadsmiley: My mentor says"well don't take him to the park"" That's our spot". Now what bothers me is I did the research on the location and etc. I feel i can take anyone to any site I've found. It's suppose to be a fun hobby, and finding good friends in a hobby is a godsend. I don't hang around alot of people. To make my point short. I took the Matt there, he found some clad, a few wheaties, and is learning his machine. But what really pisses me off is not only did my mentor tell me not to take anyone to the park, he took one of his buddies there the next day, he found 2 Merc's and his buddy found a 1933 gold class ring:censored: But I'm not suppose to take friends I've met in the hobby to my sites? Sorry for the book. But I feel that if I have to ask permission to take people to sites I researched, then I'm just going to go with him to common pounded out sites and keep the good one's for myself and a select few friends. That just takes the fun out of the hobby for me. Thanks just wanted to vent. 1939 King George VI Half crown at the park that gave me 5 silver last year. HH

Attachments

• KING George VI 1939 Half Crown back.jpg
    KING George VI 1939 Half Crown back.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 154
  • KING George VI 1939 Half Crown Face.JPG
    KING George VI 1939 Half Crown Face.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 158

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well some guys want a special spot for only the two of you to share * but others are very slippery --show no one "our" spots , it might be that having teached you "how to' detect --he basically he wants you to be the "research dude" for him in return so he can hit your hard won researched prime spots first -- and only after he and you "cherry pick' the good spots you find --then he feels ok to "let you" share them with your "other freinds" -- tell him your still good buddys and that spots shared with you by him you will not "reveal' but spots found by you on your own are fair game to share as you please , and whom you please. --before warned any spot you "share" maybe worked out in short order --most folks are blabber mouths and braggers and often will tell or show spots to others in barter info exchanges --you show me yours and I'll show you another spot

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought it was a little silly how he took a buddy himself the next day as almost to get back at you. I can kind of see where your mentor is coming from. Maybe he really enjoyed the time you two spent together. Maybe he learned a lot about himself and he likes the fact that you guys in a better sense of the word "own" that spot.
I'd bite the bullet on this one and say hey man, sorry bout that, but let's find another spot we can call our own seeing how I messed this one up. Maybe chuckle a little bit or something and kinda joke about it.
I'm sure to some degree he feels proud that he's tought you and that site has fond memories to him. Maybe he feels it was spoiled or something like that. I'm sure it's nothing major, just a tiny case of butthurtalitits:). You didn't do anything wrong btw, obviously you had no malicious intent in any of this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hello everybody! Just venting a bit about something that is bothering me. I have a buddy whom I learned and received my detector and knowledge from. He's a great guy, don't get me wrong. But the thing is I've only detected with him starting out, I've learned my machine so far that I'm finding great things. So of course I'm looking for other buddies to detect with. So far I've met 2 guys to detect with besides my teacher/friend who got me into the hobby. The one guy lives in PA and was here for the day so I took him to one of my spots, he did good and I made a good friend. My other friend is younger, and started out with a ace 250 dd coil, he did pretty good his first season. He upgraded to a T2 and is learning the machine. What is bothering me is I do a lot of research to find the good old spots and take my mentor along to these sites first when I go. Well he swings a Etrac and finds mad silver with that thing:notworthy: And yes I do get jealous, but I have found things he has walked over. The thing that has me bothered is I took my younger friend to a spot, and he wasn't doing so good, he's still learning his new machine. So I thought i'd take him to the park that gave up 5 silver for me last yr and 5 silver for my mentor last yr. My mentor called when we were at the first spot and asked how I was doing. i told him i was at the school site, and was detecting with Matt. Now this is what has me bothered:sadsmiley: My mentor says"well don't take him to the park"" That's our spot". Now what bothers me is I did the research on the location and etc. I feel i can take anyone to any site I've found. It's suppose to be a fun hobby, and finding good friends in a hobby is a godsend. I don't hang around alot of people. To make my point short. I took the Matt there, he found some clad, a few wheaties, and is learning his machine. But what really pisses me off is not only did my mentor tell me not to take anyone to the park, he took one of his buddies there the next day, he found 2 Merc's and his buddy found a 1933 gold class ring:censored: But I'm not suppose to take friends I've met in the hobby to my sites? Sorry for the book. But I feel that if I have to ask permission to take people to sites I researched, then I'm just going to go with him to common pounded out sites and keep the good one's for myself and a select few friends. That just takes the fun out of the hobby for me. Thanks just wanted to vent. 1939 King George VI Half crown at the park that gave me 5 silver last year. HH

Good post kam50. I've run into this too, and it puts us in a dilema. Some fellow hunters I hunt with (whom I enjoy hunting with), have the philosophy that any site should never have sub-invitees. EVEN when it's a site that I personally researched out (or got the ball rolling on as a lead, etc...). And if a site is super prolific with targets (a beach erosion zone, for instance that has boundless targets, and will only last for a few days before mother nature fills it back in), they STILL don't want sub-invitees. And when they see you bring your friends anyhow to help harvest, they cast a reputation on you as a hunter with "loose lips", and don't clue you in for future spots, etc....

I can understand this to a degree (because too many hunters bring un-wanted attention, and it can turn in to a big baby-sitting zone, etc....). A fair question.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've learned a sad saying but often find it to be true " There is no such things as friends but instead levels of trust". The hard part is drawing the line. I suggest that next time you/or both of you research ,find, and hunt with your buddy that you have the conversation of who has dibs on it and how it could be shared. That way there is no confusion and you get it talked out. Good luck...but most important HAVE FUN!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal detecting is a hobby for me that i find both relaxing and an enjoyable escape from the doldrums of everyday life, making me feel young again; anyone or anything that spoils it for me, i avoid

OP
OP
kam50

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the good advice and replies everybody. This isn't the first time he's said something like this to me. I had researched a old fairground, and detected it before telling anybody about it. i found some IH's but no silver. I gained permission to hunt this site. I invited him along, and he found 3 mercs that day. Well I was happy and posted the overhead view from google earth in a post. I went back out on a sunday, and there was a guy detecting there. He worked on the hill at a shop behind the fairgrounds. so I thought nothing about it. Told my Mentor and he about had a fit! Telling me not to post any locations till we hunted them first! I was a noobi so I took down the pictures from my post. I enjoy this hobby, and it's suppose to be fun! If I feel like sharing a spot with the world it's my right since I did the research. But I think from now on if I find a good older site I'm going to keep it to myself and hunt it till I can't find anything more there. Then I'll invite others to try their luck. Thanks once again for all the great advice and replies...HH

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your mentor is getting carried away. IF your hitting spots and not finding any major money item artifacts then really it shouldn't be like this. I.e. I do not mind taking anyone to my civil war union camps but of course I keep all my confederate sites a secret only between me and my dog 8-) But that mentor of yours sounds alittle hot headed, may even be best to break ties with him before it gets too out of hand. Again if you're not finding any major artifacts worth alot of money then it should simply just be for fun, once you start hitting pay dirt then you need to just keep it between you,yourself and you're dog.

I hope things get better, it really is ashame losing a friend over some silly relic hunting spots.

Good luck my friend :occasion14:

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Venn Diagram - Site Sharing.gif

This is how I do it, out of respect for someone elses work, I don't take friends (not even my nephew) to sites that I dont get permission ( just like you would hunting someones front yard) from the researcher first. I would hope that in turn they do the same but not everyything turns out peaches and cream.

OP
OP
kam50

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Hutsitedigger. thanks for the comment. I think that I'll keep the really old sites that I research for myself, hunt them till I can't find anything more. And just take him along to local parks that is in my area. @tlowery04. All the sites that I have researched is public property, except the fair grounds which I have permission from the maintenance/grounds director. The one thing that bothered me when we went out on hunts is He'd find silver, and call me over clean across from where I was detecting at to look at his find. But when I found silver,and didn't call him over he seemed to get a bit huffy, stating that when you find a hot spot we should call each other over to detect that spot together. Now I don't see the reasoning in that since i'm swinging a F2 and he has a Etrac with a 13" DD coil. Hell I'm trying to find silver also! But enough about my rants. I'm getting a 10" coil for my F2 this week, and there is still silver and stuff at that park to find. One good thing is I can detect during the week,(work weekends and Monday. PT job for now) Going tomorrow and grid off the area I found that Half Crown. Take care guys and HH

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at would kind of get under my skin, the more i hear about this guy the more it sounds less like hes a trustworthy friend and more of someone who feels they've developed an "asset" - take it as you will, but thats my view from the outside. And, public land or not, I would still consider it courteous to atleast phone the person who found/researched the site and ask them along, and if not i would ask if they minded someone else coming with you. my pov.

however, that aside, good luck with the hunt and post up what you find!

GL & HH

Trent

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. so the guy "taught" you a few things but mentor?
I've taught a dozen or so people during my almost 30 years of detecting.
You can show them settings, search patterns, what to listen for, etc. but I could not give them experience!
It sounds like you feel indebted to him for showing you the ropes.
Take a good look at what you've learned on your own and how you are learning your machine better to this day.
No one can teach you to be a successful hunter. They can only show you the basics. The rest you learn from trial and error and experience.
Also, you're the research wizard. That my friend, is one of the most important things in this hobby.....research.
I'm saying all of this because you need to set him straight next time he has a hissy fit.
It helps your stance better if you don't feel like you owe him something.
Where are all the people I "taught" and gave countless sites too? No where to be seen.
It doesn't bother me though. I still trust in the Universe that I will be rewarded and manifest many great finds by my own hands.
Plus, they all know who never has a problem researching a great new site and that keeps them coming back once in awhile.
I just take them to the places that I hammered to death and they go away for another couple of years! :laughing7:
You're free to do as you see fit.
Cheers,
Dave.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know the indepth connection with your mentor and the results of a break.... but I would announce to him that relationship is "off". Now, go where you wish. With whomever you wish. If your mentor's connection is more important, then just bite your lip and let it slide. Your choice. TTC

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks MACKAYDON

FYI to others...( From Wiki )

One theory for the origin of the word comes from markings made with chalk on the back of livestock up for sale in cattle yards throughout the southern states of the USA. Each potential customer would register their unique mark with a registrar at the meet, who would record this information in a "Dealer Identification Book". These books themselves came to be known collectively as DIBS.

Another claim for the origin of the term can be found in The Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten. Rosten claims the word derives from the Yiddish phrase fin dibsy, which means to lay claim on something. Additionally, the 1967 edition of Dictionary of American Slang states that the word "dibs" comes from the verb to divvy. A third possible origin for the term can be found in Webster's Dictionary, Second Edition, dated 1937, in which the term "dibs" refers to jacks, an old children's game played with jackstones and a small ball that dates back to 1812.

OP
OP
kam50

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. I guess I did feel indebted to my friend who got me started in this hobby. And i have learned a lot on my own about my machine and how to do research. I've found some pretty neat stuff since starting in July 2012. Not going to break off the friendship, but I know now to keep the good researched sites to myself, and just go to common places. nothing is ever hunted out. Thanks to all for the replies... HH Will post new and better finds soon. Getting a DD coil for the F2 this weekend.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you that people can get strange in a hurry. I've gone with someone who asked me not to show anyone a particular spot only to find he had been taking others there on his own. Try not to get weird about it.
From what I've experienced, there are people out there who just love the hobby and love to teach others and there are others that take advantage. If you have great research skills or are great at asking permission they'll ride along with you till the spots dry up or until they find someone with better spots! Do watch yourself though. You really dont know people as well as you think. If you start feeling uneasy or uncomfortable being around him, trust that feeling and be "busy" for awile till he moves on to someone else.
Think of it this way. My mom used to say dont do anything that you wouldnt want to read about on the front page of the newspaper. - Dont bring anyone to a spot where you wouldnt want a dozen people digging right there with you.
But- if someone brings you somewhere and beforehand says that it's a special spot to them and they only know about it. Respect that. There are spots I've been invited to that I'd never ever reveal the location because they've trusted me and they're just chuck full of awesome goodies!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I invited a co-worker to a site... the Halifax County (NC) fair site, on the American Legion Post #1 lot. He was cutting a plug the size of a paper plate using a bowie knife. Then he would smack that plug agaist his thigh till the coin fell out... including most of the dirt. Nope! Go home, buddy! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread