Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying bore the heck out of viewers for 30 minutes on the art of refilling your holes, but while they are digging out one of their finds they can say something very simple like, "Oh by the way, always be careful digging your holes and put it back together like you were never there. That way you have a better chance of being invited back again." What would that take? 10 seconds?

I know of one person who recently bought a machine because of the show. He is not an internet user so he wouldnt find us here and all our valuable insight. He went to some store in Florida and they convinced him that even though he hadnt used a detector in 30 years, he absolutely needed to spend just over $1,000.00 on a machine right off the bat. Although I'm sure the machine was worth it, I dont know if I would have recommended such an expensive purchase when he doesnt even know if he'll like it. He'll be returning up this way late spring so we'll see how he likes it since he doesnt even have email. I wasnt there so I can't judge entirely but...
Your not giving the general public much credit. I think most people would know to fill their holes in without being told. Of course there will be people that leave holes open, they are the same type of people that throw trash on the ground. They do things even when they know its wrong. It wouldnt hurt for all reality shows to do a few things different...its just a show.

jerseyjuice

Feb 2, 2013
South Plainfield
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while the lingo may be a bit corny it really does bring out the genuine nature of why i am sure we all hunt... these guys do it to uncover history and not for the money either. aside from all the other fake shows out there i kinda like watching these guys and on some of the finds you learn a thing or two which is great.
don't get me wrong cashing in on a great find is totally worth it, but uncovering history and helping others is really why i have skin in the game.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not giving the general public much credit. I think most people would know to fill their holes in without being told. Of course there will be people that leave holes open, they are the same type of people that throw trash on the ground. They do things even when they know its wrong. It wouldnt hurt for all reality shows to do a few things different...its just a show.

I think you give the general public too much credit. I live in a fairly small town I still find open holes with trash next to it. I spent half an hour today cleaning up somebody's mess. I may be "just a show", but it can do harm to the hobby when not done correctly.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i must live were all the pro diggers live........ For i have never hunted were some one never covered there holes........ But then could be i hunt were no one else hunts...........And to me saying something like .. Oh be careful and be sure to cover your holes...... On the show sounds like some one talking to a bunch of young children...........It would make these show's look more stupid than they already look................ When i started to detect there were not to many hunting out there then......... And i always covered my holes with out some one telling me........ If you are going to cover your holes you will.......... And if you don't no matter how many times you hear about it you will still not fill in your holes........

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you give the general public too much credit. I live in a fairly small town I still find open holes with trash next to it. I spent half an hour today cleaning up somebody's mess. I may be "just a show", but it can do harm to the hobby when not done correctly.

Obviously Lookindown, you know naturally or you were taught well to respect the land and fill in the holes. You're right, I dont give the general public much credit and I'm sorry about that. I hunt where land is shared with avid mountain bikers and walkers that have tons of trails to enjoy. I know they enjoy them a lot because I see their water bottles, granola bars wrappers, tofu whatever wrappers, etc. thrown all over the place. Is that everyone? No, I know I know.

Jason, when I go to one of the popular public parks I recognize some detectorists and know how they operate. Clean, respectful and fill in their holes like pros. Others you can see they're either, 1. new or 2. dont care. I too spend time filling in other people's craters and taking their trash- only because if the caretakers see holes everywhere and trash tossed around only see me that day, they're going to think it was me. I left some places because I was spending more time filling holes and collecting dug trash than I was enjoying myself.

I approached two guys once who were tearing it up. I introduced myself, chatted a little and then eased into explaining about filling their holes and taking the trash found. One said something like we dont have to, it's public land and they cant tell us what to do. I walked off pretty much helpless. I'm not going to change their minds and I'm certainly not to going to start a fight. I'd do it again though because the next guy might not know and might be a tweensy bit grateful.

One more thing- Keppy you said, "And to me saying something like .. Oh be careful and be sure to cover your holes...... On the show sounds like some one talking to a bunch of young children..........." You know what? They just might be talking to a bunch of young children- My 11 yr old watched a few with me and I'm sure there are other kids out there too watching. Those kids will be out there enjoying the hobby too some day. It's not necessarily a bad thing overall. :icon_thumleft:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously Lookindown, you know naturally or you were taught well to respect the land and fill in the holes. You're right, I dont give the general public much credit and I'm sorry about that. I hunt where land is shared with avid mountain bikers and walkers that have tons of trails to enjoy. I know they enjoy them a lot because I see their water bottles, granola bars wrappers, tofu whatever wrappers, etc. thrown all over the place. Is that everyone? No, I know I know.

Jason, when I go to one of the popular public parks I recognize some detectorists and know how they operate. Clean, respectful and fill in their holes like pros. Others you can see they're either, 1. new or 2. dont care. I too spend time filling in other people's craters and taking their trash- only because if the caretakers see holes everywhere and trash tossed around only see me that day, they're going to think it was me. I left some places because I was spending more time filling holes and collecting dug trash than I was enjoying myself.

I approached two guys once who were tearing it up. I introduced myself, chatted a little and then eased into explaining about filling their holes and taking the trash found. One said something like we dont have to, it's public land and they cant tell us what to do. I walked off pretty much helpless. I'm not going to change their minds and I'm certainly not to going to start a fight. I'd do it again though because the next guy might not know and might be a tweensy bit grateful.

One more thing- Keppy you said, "And to me saying something like .. Oh be careful and be sure to cover your holes...... On the show sounds like some one talking to a bunch of young children..........." You know what? They just might be talking to a bunch of young children- My 11 yr old watched a few with me and I'm sure there are other kids out there too watching. Those kids will be out there enjoying the hobby too some day. It's not necessarily a bad thing overall. :icon_thumleft:
Never thought about kids watching the show and they could easily not realize they should fill their holes...for that reason alone it would be a good idea for the show to mention proper techniques.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Never thought about kids watching the show and they could easily not realize they should fill their holes...for that reason alone it would be a good idea for the show to mention proper techniques.
lookindown ,....... That would be fine if they made a kids show for metal detecting...... But for a adult show to talk to watchers like we are kids.....It would just make us look stupid ..... "Don't forget kids cover you holes " ..... Forget that talk on a TH show........We look stupid enough to most people...... Now they will say wow they talk to those ones that use detectors like they are little kids.........

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But for a adult show to talk to watchers like we are kids.....It would just make us look stupid .....
More stupid than us hanging from trees, crawling through doghouses, speaking in tongues?

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So rm was telling me the other night he was out to dinner and a young lady came up to him and said " are you ring master?" He said yes and gave her a token. Then about 10 minutes later her 10 year old brother came up and said " ringmaster." He said yes. The boy then said " I just love your show, especially when you climb the trees." This should show us that professional detectorists are not the only ones watching.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More stupid than us hanging from trees, crawling through doghouses, speaking in tongues?

The guys are just having fun. I guess everyone has their own opinions on these shows. I watched Lucky Muckers and was bored to tears.... I was lucky the neighbors didn't find me hanging from a tree.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guys are just having fun. I guess everyone has their own opinions on these shows. I watched Lucky Muckers and was bored to tears.... I was lucky the neighbors didn't find me hanging from a tree.

I got through about 2/3 of the way through Lucky Muckers, just wasn't keeping my interest :dontknow:
wasn't that it was bad, just not an attention grabber.
may have even been location of hunts

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my self heated up in the moment with a great find
all happy dance-n around and walk off just to circle back
and catch my self not filling in my hole,
and say to to my self at first site, who is the ignorant jerk who didn't fill in his hole
walk up as if
I'm a true sportsman and fill in the hole with out expecting anything in return...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
her 10 year old brother came up and said " ringmaster." He said yes. The boy then said " I just love your show, especially when you climb the trees."

her 10 year old brother came up and said " ringmaster." He said yes. The boy then said " I just love your show, especially when you climb the trees."

This should show us that professional detectorists are not the only ones watching.
Looks like they've hit their target audience!

Last edited:

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella said:
Looks like they've hit their target audience!

They must have The audience is posting a lot on here

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just kills the haters everytime something positive is said about the show...with this much interest, looks like the show is going to be around for awhile.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just kills the haters everytime something positive is said about the show...with this much interest, looks like the show is going to be around for awhile.

You already Know I like diggers, but I'll be surprised if it lasts more then 2 seasons.
they are too honest.
My guess, considering the I.Q. of most people out there in TV land,
the rastler & the other phoney show Swamp Hunters will last longer :(

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I LOL everytime they post & say...Wow you guys watched it again....too funny!

Hey haters see you next week!

Last edited:

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the show and hope it stays around a long time Then I can sit back and read about it on here for days after it airs All the expert reviews lol

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So rm was telling me the other night he was out to dinner and a young lady came up to him and said " are you ring master?" He said yes and gave her a token. Then about 10 minutes later her 10 year old brother came up and said " ringmaster." He said yes. The boy then said " I just love your show, especially when you climb the trees." This should show us that professional detectorists are not the only ones watching.

I'm glad he was ready to give a little "token" of appreciation to people that watched the show and approach him. That's good PR for sure. Kids are watching. To think that watchers are only from a particular demographic and cater only to that profile wouldnt be good business. Heck, I dont even fit the profile!

I just dont see someone throwing the remote at the television and vowing never to watch the show again if while they were digging a target, they mentioned try not to cut through tree roots if you dont have to, or similar.

When they found the man's peace wedding band, they passed her wedding band under the coil to get the right target reading. Most of us know to do that when trying to recover a lost item. I already knew that. I wasn't offended or insulted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions