Time to sell the Homestead and looking for some advice

cole1

Apr 27, 2007
South Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
dfx
My parents are looking to sell the farm here in CT this spring. Their getting too old to handle all the upkeep and what not. This is the place where I found the buttons and coins and the CT Archaeologist was out examining as well. My question is, is it wise to market the farm with the information that was dug from the site or is that just inviting trouble? I know after we found the button we were told by people to never disclose the location as it would invite trouble. But, now that they are going to sell perhaps it would be worth more to people who had an interest in old homesteads.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It won't be worth as much if you tell everyone you hunted it out. (and if you haven't, you should- or let me :-)

It all depends on who's buying it and their interest in history as to how much of a difference it makes. If you are thinking that it will increase the land value, probably not, unless you get declared a historical site.

The actual value is what will determine the selling price, not the maybe artifacts value. I don't believe it would hurt to mention the history, probably even help generate some interest.

OP
OP
cole1

cole1

Apr 27, 2007
South Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
dfx
I like the idea of hunting, I just don't like all the digging in the dirt!! At the old foundation site there are so many nails that I gave up on it. Much of the stuff I found was in between rocks that I really didn't have to dig.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only disclose to a potential buyer and not necessarily advertise the relics when doing the listing with the agent. You may tell your agent to disclose that it is an area rich in historic history. You do not want people to see the listing and asking to just metal detect. If you get a contract or ernest monies you might wish to show or tell of relics found. You want to do full disclosure but not sure you have to mention relics from the land.
I would just list as an historic site dating back to..(date). I sold a farm a couple tears back that had a historic spring on it that was mentioned during the civil war and maps. We just said it was listed on historic maps. A smart buyer usually does research and a title search will reveal all previous deeds to make sure there is not a cloud on title.
Just my humble opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread