Ban detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
gleaner, what you're saying is often the natural knee jerk reaction of many of us md'rs. When we read/see of a park or city getting a "no detectors" rule, we do exactly what you're doing, and say to ourselves: "durn those people who left holes". We assume this was the reason for the rule. In fact, this may be the reason they cite, by the person making the rule even (thus furthering the notion in the hearer's mind, etc...).

But even though this may be the reason given by the person booting you, or the city making up the rule, yet in my opinion, it's not always the reason. It's merely the instinctive "go to" rationale, on their part, to justify the rule they are making. Because, let's face it gleaner "holes" ARE the connotation that is conjured up in people's minds, afterall, when you ask them to think about detecting. And sure, I'm not saying that perhaps someone didn't leave holes in the past as well.

But the final nail in the coffin is not usually those incidents of holes (if there even really is any such incident). On the contrary, it's the asking permission, and the answer they thus develop to give you (in which they'll cite holes perhaps). Thus it's the asking that brought about the rules, not necessarily the "holes" issue. I mean, afterall "holes" would ALREADY be a rule in any park, anywhere, already. They can already boot someone for altering or vandalizing parks, afterall. So no needs to makes new rules, if ones already exist that address such a thing.

So I'm still of the opinion, that a good percentage of the time, the go-to-answer of "holes" is only there, because someone went asking for sanction, permission, etc... and you got an answer of "no". So you wander off mumbling under your breath "durn those people who left holes", when odds were, perhaps they'd never have given it a moment's thought, till you'd gone in and asked, in the first place. Thus it was really the "asking" that brought about the "no", and not always necessarily the "holes" issue they will cite you.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When Sordid Park is closed to tectin, I smile and relish in the fact that I took a bit more than my fair share of goods outa there. But I busted my ass for it and earned it, it was not like in the old days. Heck, those old parks are so beat down that a frikin Etrac could not pull a silver or copper anything outa there any more. And if it could, it would be very few and very far between. That is the modern park tectin reality. Off limits or not.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like my grandad would say.. If you think you need to ask permission to be somewhere you probably already know the answer... So why bother asking park says open to the public.. If there's no sign saying no detecting then why make it more complicated...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom (CA- Kinzli's), time to chime in on what you ALWAYS say about folks who "try and do the right thing".

I had a chance encounter with a fellow detectorist in one of the many city parks we have here where I live. I have detected here for years and never been bothered by anyone. But I did find out some good news. You need a permit and the permit is free. The city parks want to know what you are doing in the park. The only down side to all of this, is dont get caught without a permit. To end in a good note, I watched a guy who has detected for 40 years using a vintage bounty hunter find a pocket spill of clad coins. His digging tool was a small wood chisel. It was nice to see how it is supposed to be done. If you look you will find you have more permission than you think. I recently seen a post that said metal detecting meteorites on BLM land was permitted also. You have no idea how bad I felt every time I pulled my detector out before I found this info out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they make Local Park off limits to tectin, its because they dont want a bunch of MD hacks tearing up the beautiful green turf. Nobody wants that.
We do it different in our county. County parks are open to detecting anywhere but in the swim area. They are closed there because there if fabric under the sand and scoops damage it. When someone is spotted detecting in the park they are watched to see if they are leaving damage to the grounds and are instructed on the right way to retrieve a target and not leave the clod of dirt on top of the ground. Shovels and Lesche's are watched more carefully and are usually visited by a deputy.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...... You need a permit and the permit is free. ...... If you look you will find you have more permission than you think.....

Casca, if I understand your post's intent correctly, you deduce that .... because *some* city's have permits, that ........ therefore there are more that "need permission than you think".

Actually, for starters, while it's true that some cities and counties around the United states have instituted such a thing, it is VERY few of them, when compared to the sheer # of cities and counties there are. For example, in my state of CA, I can think of only a few cities (out of hundreds) that have such a thing. And only a single (maybe 2 tops) county (out of 58 counties here).

And even in the case of how it is, occsionally true, that there might be such a thing, I STILL say that if someone is skittish and wonders if such a thing exists, it STILL doesn't mean that they therefore need to go ask "can I?" type questions. Because if it were true that their specific locale had such a thing, they STILL can look that up for themselves, and find out such info. Still no need to go asking desk-bound bureaucrats "can I metal detect?"

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a little background. I've been stationed at Offutt AFB NE a little over three years now. I brought out the old metal detector about six months ago and wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws before I started digging around. I checked the Nebraska reg online and this is what I found:
001.14C The possession and use of metal detectors is prohibited; Provided, possession of such a device is permitted subject to the following provisions:

001.14C1 Metal detectors may be used year around at designated state recreation area swimming beaches posted as open to such activity. During the period May 22 through September 7, usage is restricted to the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., daily. Metal detectors must remain below the vegetation line above the beach.

001.14C2 Metal detectors are limited to portable, hand-held devices only and digging equipment is limited to hand tools not exceeding twelve inches in length by four inches in width and sand scoops and sieves not over ten inches in diameter.

001.14C3 Operators of a metal detector shall wear or carry a litter apron or bag, and all litter found is to be deposited in an approved trash receptacle.

001.14C4 Operators may keep any nonidentifiable items with a nominal value of less than $25.00. Identifiable items, such as rings, watches, etc., and all other items of value exceeding $25.00 are to be
deposited with the park superintendent.

These provisions apply to all lost and found articles including those found without the aid of a metal detector.

001.14C5 All historical, archeological or paleontological items found are to be left undisturbed and their location reported to the park superintendent.

001.14C6 Use of metal detectors in State Parks and State Historical Parks is expressly prohibited except as herein
provided.

001.14C7 Owners of lost items may use a metal detector in areas where their use is otherwise prohibited, only upon prior arrangement with the park superintendent.

Now, looking around a bit further I found that you could obtain $1.00 permit and hunt the parks of Omaha legally. I went and got one and on the back it states the rules and regs. It reads, "Only probes such as screwdrivers no larger than 3/8" in diameter or a knife with a blade no wider than 1" are permitted." It also reads, "No shovels, trowels, plug cutters allowed." Now seeing this It seems near impossible to legally "dig up" the items we locate as we all generally use shovels/trowels to dig with. I guess I'll just have to go out there and take my chances when the ground thaws. Another reason I'm so hesitant to go out there and just dig(no questions asked) is I've already been stopped once. I live in a military housing community off base and there are a ton of playgrounds and open fields just outside my house. Being that I couldn't find anything online, any signs posted, or anything written in my contract that says I couldn't detect I went right out and begun hunting. For about four months I was left alone. I would get awkward stares from people and a lot of curious onlookers (mostly kids) but no real harassment. Then one day I'm out digging a plug and I look up to see a cop making his way out on the field. I'm thinking great, he asks me what I'm doing and I look back at my equipment and point, just a little metal detecting. I tell him that theres no reg that I can find that tells me I can't and that I'm being careful filling my plugs, picking up any trash I find, and leaving little trace that I was ever there. He says I looked suspicious out there next to a playground( I'm not going to tell you what else he said because it would be giving the rest of his department a disservice but it was pretty damn ridiculous) and that until I sought clarification from the housing community and got word to his department I was to fill the plug a cease further activity. Now I haven't gone back out around housing since as I feel pretty sure that once I ask permission I'll get a flat no, along with some questioning and maybe looking at a pending fee for damaged grass (yes they actually make you pay for brown spots/dead grass and holes when you move out). Well I've been waiting to to post that rant since the incident occurred and this felt like the right thread to do it in. I hope that once I get out to the local parks of Omaha, I won't be met with such hostility and lack of understanding. Getting an E-Trac this month (can't wait!) and looking to find some seriously old stuff! :hello2:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullhead, you need to lodge a complaint with the police chief. That cop was nothing but a power hungry jerk. He can not legally tell you to leave just because he doesn't like you being there when you aren't violating any laws. Just tell them you are considering a civil rights violation lawsuit.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is far wiser to ask forgiveness then to ask permission. If you can't see or fathom the logic of that then DO NOT GET MARRIED.....EVER

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread