All Treasure Hunting

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your best bet is to call the principal and set up a time for you to see him/her in person. I have had better luck asking in person than over the phone or by email. I would reassure him/her you won't be tearing up the turf or be there during regular school hours.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
bossmantx, with all due respect to curlysgold's advise to "go ask the principal", read the "ban detecting" thread that is near this one, right now. See the similarities?

What things have you researched (Ie.: what have you read) that makes you think that San Antonio is a "tough town to metal detect in"?

Ask yourself this: do other people access the school grounds after school hours? Ie.: persons who want to jog the track, use the hoops, fly a kite, etc...? If so, then why do you think you need permission, anymoreso than them? Unless there were a specific prohibition, that is. Rules are usually posted on the sign at the school turn-style yard entrance: no dogs, no weapons, no alcahol, etc...... If you see nothing there prohibiting your activity, and you plan to leave no trace of your presence, then ......... you get the point. I detect school yards in any city I come to, wherever I travel, and don't have a problem. Is that to say that if I asked "enough principals" that someone might say "no?" SURE! But isn't that a little like asking if you can wear a tree-bark suit on the lawn and whistle dixie? Authority would probably also say "no" to that too. But if you just went and did it, did anyone really care? probably not.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a public school and there no signs saying MDing, go hit it. You start asking ur gonna get an answer u dnt want.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
boss: go to the Texas Forum and check out anything to do with San Antone. I seem to remember some hostility towards MDing
down thar. It is certainly not the time to rock the boat on school properties. I would steer clear of them till things cool down.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is easier to say you are sorry than to ask permission on public property. Schools are getting very hard on off-hour vistors because of the events of the last ten years. I hunt public parks all the time. I am never bothered because I don't make a mess or bother people. But the last few times I was at a public school I was asked to leave within half an hour of getting started. I go when the place is deserted. Most ask me what I am doing, which should be obvious. They say it is not allowed and ask me to please leave and I comply. If it seems like a good time to ask why, I am invariably told 'for insurance reasons'. In this wacky world I could get hurt while there and then sue them for some hazard. Not that I would, but that is their line of reasoning. I really can't blame them much. Being responsible to a school full of kids is an awesome responsibility in today's world. However, I often wonder how they figure out I am there so quickly.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody cares here(San Antonio) what you do. There are many places to md. Schools are not off limits and you see people searching there, Brack, and in many of the other parks as well. You can get a park permit from the city, but I never bothered with one. I have run into md'ers all over. There are still interesting things to find, spanish and more recent. And no, I am semi-retired, have a bad left leg, gave my detector to my cousin and work part time for Pearson Education, watch TV, play with the cat and have no desire whatever to dig in the ground anymore, but if you really try, you can find lots of places to go and search, both in the city and the surrounding areas. Just smile at the park police and please fill your holes. Nothing difficult about it...

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry a cloth take pride in plug especially along any side walk were all the tragic is.
it's a walking complaint Department

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
A 5 year old threatens a classmate to blow bubbles at another, gets a criminal record! Didn't even have the bubble-gun at school.
These teachers and administers are on a tear. There's better places to hunt. If you don't know anyone with property get to know
someone who does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions