Difference in detectors ?

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Whats the most important feature when comparing detectors ? I don't care about bells and whistles. I was wondering if the frequency is what separates one detector from another. Or what is the biggest determining factor when comparing models. I have my heart set on the coinmaster GT because it fits my price range. I also buy occasional storage units and may come across one. If I did see one I would only recognize the brand name and probably wouldn't be able to put a value on it from afar. But if I knew a few things to look for I may have an easier time, thanks in advance...:)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MOST important thing is to know what and WHERE you want to metal detect. You are in Florida? Are you planning on hunting saltwater beaches 90-percent of the time? Will you be a dry sand and dirt hunter only? Different machines do different things. Machines marketed as "good all around machines," usually excel at nothing.

The operating frequency of a machine can be very important, and again is driven by the targets you seek, and the mineralization of the soil it is buried in. Your mission, is to identify the type of hunting and conditions you want to begin with, and begin asking educated questions that will help you find the right machine and equipment.

OP
OP
scrapdoggie

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
I enjoy digging in the soil the most, the beaches are close enough to visit weekly if I wanted to. My Ace 250 wasn't very enjoyable at the beach so I don't go very often. I do think I will be going with the Whites Coinmaster GT for like $400 next week. I have been swinging the Ace for four years and just wanted to upgrade a bit. If frequency is the strongest factor for depth/description then I can compare what others have at the same price. Bells and whistles mean nothing compared to ground balance at the beach and depth in the soil. Again I really just like hunting for goodies, I know nothing about detectors themselves. Thanks for your reply.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Multi - Frequency Machines do alot better in the wet sand ...do good in the dirt too....Fisher Cz. Minelab... White`s also has one i think its the Dfx

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What separates them, other than type (VLF, PI, BFO, etc) IS the "bells and whistles". Any feature above the base concept of responding to a metal item introduced into the generated EM field is a bell and/or whistle to someone.

You just have to choose the detector that has the bells you want to hear.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy digging in the soil the most, the beaches are close enough to visit weekly if I wanted to. My Ace 250 wasn't very enjoyable at the beach so I don't go very often. I do think I will be going with the Whites Coinmaster GT for like $400 next week. I have been swinging the Ace for four years and just wanted to upgrade a bit. If frequency is the strongest factor for depth/description then I can compare what others have at the same price. Bells and whistles mean nothing compared to ground balance at the beach and depth in the soil. Again I really just like hunting for goodies, I know nothing about detectors themselves. Thanks for your reply.

For the same money or less you can get: Minelab X-Terra 305; Tesoro Cibola; or a Fisher F4. Do some more research!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread