Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2007
    Deland Florida
    Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
    21 times

Difference in detectors ?

Whats the most important feature when comparing detectors ? I don't care about bells and whistles. I was wondering if the frequency is what separates one detector from another. Or what is the biggest determining factor when comparing models. I have my heart set on the coinmaster GT because it fits my price range. I also buy occasional storage units and may come across one. If I did see one I would only recognize the brand name and probably wouldn't be able to put a value on it from afar. But if I knew a few things to look for I may have an easier time, thanks in advance...
    michael harrington

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3284 times
    Metal Detecting
    The MOST important thing is to know what and WHERE you want to metal detect. You are in Florida? Are you planning on hunting saltwater beaches 90-percent of the time? Will you be a dry sand and dirt hunter only? Different machines do different things. Machines marketed as "good all around machines," usually excel at nothing.

The operating frequency of a machine can be very important, and again is driven by the targets you seek, and the mineralization of the soil it is buried in. Your mission, is to identify the type of hunting and conditions you want to begin with, and begin asking educated questions that will help you find the right machine and equipment.

us
    Nov 2007
    Deland Florida
    Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
    21 times
    I enjoy digging in the soil the most, the beaches are close enough to visit weekly if I wanted to. My Ace 250 wasn't very enjoyable at the beach so I don't go very often. I do think I will be going with the Whites Coinmaster GT for like $400 next week. I have been swinging the Ace for four years and just wanted to upgrade a bit. If frequency is the strongest factor for depth/description then I can compare what others have at the same price. Bells and whistles mean nothing compared to ground balance at the beach and depth in the soil. Again I really just like hunting for goodies, I know nothing about detectors themselves. Thanks for your reply.
    michael harrington

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot

Jul 2010
    Watkins Glen N.Y. Finger Lakes Region,Beaver Dams N.Y.
    Teknetics Omega,EuroTek Pro Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Toltec ll, ,Gray Ghost Ultimate's,Depth Master Super Phones II,Garrett Pro Pointer,Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" 28" Lesche Ground Shark
    1091 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Multi - Frequency Machines do alot better in the wet sand ...do good in the dirt too....Fisher Cz. Minelab... White`s also has one i think its the Dfx
    I`v been detecting for 45 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules
    NEL Hunter Coil 12 1/2" X 8 1/2"
    NEL Sharpshooter Coil 9 1/2" X 5 1/2"
    NEL Sharp Coil 5"
    ReadyShovel Holster

us
    Oct 2009
    1913 times
    What separates them, other than type (VLF, PI, BFO, etc) IS the "bells and whistles". Any feature above the base concept of responding to a metal item introduced into the generated EM field is a bell and/or whistle to someone.

You just have to choose the detector that has the bells you want to hear.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3284 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapdoggie View Post
    I enjoy digging in the soil the most, the beaches are close enough to visit weekly if I wanted to. My Ace 250 wasn't very enjoyable at the beach so I don't go very often. I do think I will be going with the Whites Coinmaster GT for like $400 next week. I have been swinging the Ace for four years and just wanted to upgrade a bit. If frequency is the strongest factor for depth/description then I can compare what others have at the same price. Bells and whistles mean nothing compared to ground balance at the beach and depth in the soil. Again I really just like hunting for goodies, I know nothing about detectors themselves. Thanks for your reply.
    For the same money or less you can get: Minelab X-Terra 305; Tesoro Cibola; or a Fisher F4. Do some more research!

Jan 2013
    5 times
    Don't know if this helps but I'll throw it out to you.
    Kellyco Metal Detector Comparison

Sponsors