About ready to buy my first MD. need some help.

justjb

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
upstate south carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about to take the plunge and purchase my first MD. i live in the upstate of sc near cowpens where soil is full of clay. i'm interested in hunting for coins, relics and some jewelry. i've read quite a bit on this site and a couple of others and need some help choosing the best starter unit for me. i'm considering the fisher f2, garrett ace 250, or the garrett 350. if i get the 350 i probably won't be able to afford any more coils for the time being. the f2 and the 250 come with more than one coil. i also plan to get some good headphones and of course the pinpointer. is the 350 that much of a better unit that i should get that unit over the other 2?? i also would like to use this on the beach when we take vacation in the summer. thanks in advance for any replies. i really enjoy reading about everyone's finds.

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the best you can afford for the type of MDing your gonna do. How many times you gonna live is how I see it. Buy once cry once.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from what i have read the fisher does better in the salt

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm prejudiced but I'd go with the F2.

Those are all comparable detectors, and you can't go wrong with any of them.
It appears the only upgrade between the 250 and 350 is enhanced iron resolution and the DD coil (on the 350).

Fisher offers a 5 year warranty while Garrett is 2.
You'll be surprised what that 4" coil on the F2 will find.

If you're concerned about the soil conditions, you might want to consider a manual ground balance.
In that case, look at the Minelab 305.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread