Metal detectorists tracking and finds recording app.

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I'm a metal detectorist from England, and a long term member of detectorist .co.uk. I have recently made a metal detectorists Android tracking app. I've called Tect O Trak. I thought you might like to try it. This is the app I couldn't find.. So I made it myself. This application allows the user to track their movements within a pre defined area. You can save and resume searches, add / revisit findspots, and make detailed records. Get a fully functional demo here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trib.app.tectotraklite

Or for more info, go to http://historyhunters.co.uk/tectotrak/

Cheers.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is tthis an app to track your movements or an app to list what you find and have it geotagged and a picture stored? I will take a look at your app.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the difference between the free and pay version? I dot like limited operational programs that you have to pay for in order to try all functions

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fully functional, but only allows 2 search area saves.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wormslayer said:
It's fully functional, but only allows 2 search area saves.

I am going to have to really look at it, i downloaded it and tokk a quick look and couldnt figure anything out. I will give it another try as i would love an app does thas just this.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Gerry,

Once you play with it a few times , you will realise that it is actually very simple. Which is why I didn't include instructions 8-)

There are instructions on my site @
Tect O Trak » HistoryHunters.co.uk If you need any pointers.

Ok, you've twisted my arm. Here's how to use Tect O trak

Assuming you are on site..

TURN ON GPS! Ideally, you need to turn it on five minutes before you need it. This will give it time to get a good fix on you. There is no harm in turning Tect o Trak on at the same time either, and allows it time to synchronise. It will be raring to go by the time you arrive at your starting point!

Ok.. you're standing at the edge of your field of dreams.. Tect O Traks running.. From the start up screen, select 'New search' Google sattelite maps will start up.
Press the 'centre on position' icon in the top right corner of the map. It will zoom to your position and you will now see yourself as a small blue arrow. You are now going to To outline your intended search area. To do this, from the menu select 'Set area markers' (you will then need to give the search area a name) To lay the first marker (in a corner for example) tap the screen. A marker will appear. This marker is immovable. Be accurate as you can be. You can then proceed to outline the search area by adding further markers. Apart from the first marker, these can be moved around for precision placement by holding down the marker until it becomes active. The last marker can be deleted by pressing 'Back' There is no need to completely close off the search area as this is done automatically by going to menu, and pressing ‘Finalise area’. This will connect the first marker to the last. You are now ready to go. Press ‘Start detecting’ and you're off!

Recording finds
When you make a find that you want to record. In the menu select, ‘Add a find’. You have the choice of entering the location automatically (by gps) or manually (by sight) positioning, The latter being more accurate. Enter any details about the find, press ok then touch the screen to place a star marker. As with the area border markers, to be extra precise, hold the star marker down until it becomes active, then drag to exact spot.

Manually add tracks.
There is an option for the user to enter their tracks manually, and make records from memory at their convenience.
To do this, go to: menu/ start detecting/ Add a track . Position screen, and tap screen to lay tracks. Please note that you will still need to create a search area

Resume search
To resume a previous search. On the start up screen, press the 'Resume search icon. Then, in the menu ‘Select map’ select a map from the list.When you are position and ready to continue from where you left off, from the menu, press ‘Start detecting’ Saving is automatic. Just exit the programme when your done.

Finds

To view details of a previous find. On the home screen, press the finds icon, and it will list all your finds with search area name, details of find, and co ordinates. Select any file and it will zoom you to the findspot. Touch the star to bring details up.

I hope this helps. It really is easy to use. It's designed to be quick and simple. let me know how you get on. Although youve probably mastered it in the time its taken me to write this message :)

Any questions please ask.

Be lucky,
Wormslayer

Last edited:

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, i did get it to work but just barely but i was limited on my time. The program probably is simple, but the directions should be with it or readily available. Seems every year older i get the harder things are to figure out, but that could be because i dont allow as much time to figure things out as i used to.
I will have time this weekend to try it and figure it out a little better. Once I am able to spend more than a couple minutes osn the program, i will let you know. It does look like it will work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions