perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting old farm sites//

Sitting about stoking the fire and waiting for warmer temps.
Reading all the posts from warmer areas, I am amaised at the finds out in corn fields, pastures etc:
Why are the coins there ??
From my studies of colonial America our forefathers were VERY conservative of everything and coins lost in the field would be alarming to them//.
My Grandfather kept his change in a clasp purse // His father probably worked all day for $.50. Dropping a quarter would be like me loosing a $100.00 bill/// yet WE detect the old stuff everyday// Very strange /// any comments ?? Perry

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it can be lost.....it will be lost....that's what I'm always being told anyways

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm so glad you asked that question! As I have thought it too!

I've always just assumed that whoever owned the land would sit for lunch or something, wherever they were in the field, and things might fall out of their pockets. I also figured that battles might have taken place there and maybe that's how coins shook loose... I dunno...

I'll be interested to see the replies.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of these fields had one or more houses, sometimes even towns, on them before they became fields. Anyplace people congregate there is a chance to find artifacts.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true.. I like the picture of your puppy is that a lab?

Yes pong & Thanks ...we have 3 labs & I have pics of them in my profile ...The female had a litter of 12 about 6 months ago

OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is about the responses I expected to get //
I posted a reasonable post about a reasonable question to do with our hobby. I was hopping to get a good discussion going//

what responses do we get //
#1 a useless proverb about stuff gets lost///
#2 I like the puppy in your avatar /// WTF does this have to do with coins in a corn field ///
#3 first good, intelligent response
#4 second good response
#5 “ yes that’s a Lab I have6 …....

I am beginning to think a lot of people just like to see themselves in print //

SO: I suggest :
If you can't contribute to the subject ---DONT POST
If you want to talk about something else-- START YOUR OWN POST
If someone posts a nice find there is NO NEED to post 15 times WTG, NICE FIND, DITTO, after the first response we all know its nice///

My sound off for the day/// Perry

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is about the responses I expected to get //
I posted a reasonable post about a reasonable question to do with our hobby. I was hopping to get a good discussion going//

what responses do we get //
#1 a useless proverb about stuff gets lost///
#2 I like the puppy in your avatar /// WTF does this have to do with coins in a corn field ///
#3 first good, intelligent response
#4 second good response
#5 “ yes that’s a Lab I have6 …....

I am beginning to think a lot of people just like to see themselves in print //

SO: I suggest :
If you can't contribute to the subject ---DONT POST
If you want to talk about something else-- START YOUR OWN POST
If someone posts a nice find there is NO NEED to post 15 times WTG, NICE FIND, DITTO, after the first response we all know its nice///

My sound off for the day/// Perry

WTG Perry
Most think a bit of humor works here at TN. Notice our little funky Pirate swinging a metal detector in the top left. Cute huh?
I do think the "pups" post should have been a pm though.
Please refrain from the "WTF" in the future.
HH Ray ///////////

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Perry, I see you are new here. Welcome to T-net!

In spite of your endearing demeanor I will take a chance and offer some insight from my years of field hunting here in Texas.
First of all, very few place exist where people have not been before. I see that you live in New Hampshire. Here in Texas, rural areas were actually more populated than towns or cities. Just about any plot of land you might metal detect on here has some traces of past human activity in the form of lost metal objects. I am in constant amazement when I find out that an area that is totally "natural" looking used to be the spot of an old homestead or even an abandoned community!

If you peruse old plat maps in rural areas here in Texas from the 1880's to the 1930's it is littered with spots where small cotton farms used to be. Almost every square foot was farmed....thus human activity. I have found old coins, personal items and relics of all sorts, even early automobile parts out in the middle of a field.

Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Thrill- Sory about the T-OFF but I'm getting a bit ster crazy // and this is the third post i've made and got nowhere with///
I am a history buff and have collected, laid out and mapped every deed in this town (12,000) from 1778-1999
I have made and published a map showing all original lots (1778), dwellings, roads. stonewalls and cellar holes ,++ for this town and area. (57 pre 1900 cellar holes and a few pre 1800 ) also including current tax lots overlayed to show ownership //
I have a new AT-PRO and am just waiting to get out/// Perry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason coins are found in fields is many. Some are old settlements, farmer was lying under the tractor to fix it and coins fell out. Get some old platt maps to match up the area with old settlements. If you are finding pieces of bricks or other home scrap, work on that area good. TTC

Gator Trapper

Greenie
Jan 30, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/Di Pro SL and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new to the hunt, I have done some asking around to search old home sites ect., but really never thought of "field hunting" on it's self, but makes sense - while repairing something in the field one might lose change or poke a hole in their pocket trying to carry something out while running the horse' back out - need to expand my "field" of search so to speak!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sheesh perry, maybe you should tell us what you want us to say. It is an open thread.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here in the midwest were the landscape is predomenently corn and bean fields I can tell you most fields used to have a farm house or building on the section. I have looked at old maps of my area and I see houses on every corner ( about a mile apart). Now you are lucky to find one house in a couple miles. Once land prices started to rise people would burn down or bury the old farm steads for the extra acres to farm. This just happened half a mile from my house just south of me. There was a little farm with a grove of trees surounding it, it had a house and a corn crib and some grain bins. This fall they buried and burned the house, knocked in its foundation, ripped down the corn crib, dismantled the grain bins and sold them and dug giant holes to put all the trees in. They took an excavator and pulled out all the trees in the begining of winter nd burned them all a few weeks ago. They did all of this to gain about an acre. The same thing happened to my grandparents farm. Farms are getting bigger, so is the equipment so less farmers need to be around.

Corn fields are full of stuff. Take my place for instance, it was used to raise cattle in the mid 40s-80s. All of those buildings have been plowed under and I find bricks all the time when I walk the field to pick up rocks. In my grove is the only evidence left of cows, a few skeletons my dogs like to screw with. You never know what you might find. Also plows rip up the soil and can move older stuff closer to the surface, always look after it has been plowed. Some of our friends over in Europe will agree with me on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread