Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I worked in a bank in '64 and bought ten rolls of Kennedy halves. Schlepped them around for 48 years and sold them last year near the top of the market--since the days of the Hunt Bros. I'll hold back on the many stories of when I sold at the wrong time and took a bath since I needed the dough.
Don.....

sax player

Apr 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I am surprised that the majority of the dimes and quarters in circulation in the early 60's and late 70's was not silver. That means that most dimes and quarters were only minted during the 5 or so years before. The mint must have went into overdrive to produce that many coins.

That's probably why we see 1965 quarters so much...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Silver coins were hoarded after 1964--until 1978-1979 when the Hunt Bros nearly cornered the world silver market and the price of silver rose to about $50 per ounce. Then tons of it was dumped into melt--as you might imagine.
Don.....

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I have not looked at this thread in about a month & have really enjoyed the posts I have not read until today thanks to all for the educational info. Its amazing to see CRHs still finding silvers in this day [maybe its kids ,addicts spending all they have, I guess that goes for proof coinage as well]..Not that uncommon 2or3 times Ive gotten silver coins back in change in the past 5 or 6 yrs but 1 lucky day a little over a year ago @ a thrift store I made a purchase and in my change got back 1silver quarter & 2 silver dimes 1 was a merc ,then I went back in and bought something for a little over 1$ same thing more silver in the change this time 1silver 1 clad quarter 3 more silver dimes .Being a bit greedy by now I went back in and asked for 5$ in change {for the bus} MAN the till was full of change of all types and could see silver dimes sitting on top could not really tell on the quarters so I asked for "2 DOLLARS in Quart-& 3 in dimes ,seeing the edges the Qs had 2 silvers and 17 of the dimes were silver I wanted more but the gig was up ,so I left and let someone elese be the lucky one. How this happend? I often wonder . ? did someone donate the coins to be turned in to cash and they ended up in the till instead & HOW the ladies working check out didnt notice 'ESP, with all the Mercs .Ill never know but Im pretty sure someone took note eventvally.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember in the first gas crisis in the early 70's, in Nevada City, CA there was a gas station I would always go to and it would have a line of 10 or so cars lined up to get gas. BUT, you could go to the front of the line if you paid in silver coins. I expect that mindset to return someday....... soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread