well exploration

W

welldigger

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
hmm... I don't mean to dash your hopes but I wouldn't do it. Even if the well is dry, the risks outway any possible finds. Unless you're a qualified climber with underground/water exploration experience of course! ;) The equipment necessary to do it safely costs beaucoup dollar. Please be careful.
Good luck and keep us posted. Daisy

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Most of those wells were just that WELLS. They were for drinking water and you wouldn't want to throw coins into your main drinking water supply. Now if you can find old outhouse depressions that is where people dumped old bottles and whatever else they didn't want anymore once it was not used for the first purpose any longer. That would be where the goodies might hide.

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I agree Mark NJ an I ran across two guys that do that (privy hunters) they get quite alot of rings, coins bottles at clean outs an all they brought to the privy I showed them was a long probe and shovel and did get stuff

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wells are a great place to hunt treasure if your sure to do everything as safely as possible.I have yet to dig one myself but i do have one that is about 10' deep that is on a small hill.When the sun shines just right you can see the bottom and the glint of glass(one day I'll remember to bring a flashlight)There is also some very old glass and china shards all around the outside.I estimate this well to have been in use in the late 1700's and early 1800's.I am thinking i might be able to dig into it from the side.Its on my todo list for next summer ! If you have doubts of finding anything,just stop and think about how many times you have heard of people hiding things in the well.Injuns and Tories about to getcha throw the family jewels in the well ! ;) Also take a look at what they have found in an old well at Jamestown VA. People also would use a well that had dried up as a trash pit same as an outhouse.Digging an outhouse can also be dangerous so whatever you do be carefull !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread