diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More "dealers" (coming out of the woodwork) trying to cash in on the hype of these so called detecting shows. The popularity of metal detecting has never been so high. It's all about selling a dream of riches. Just look at all that money they make every week on that one show that I don't want to call by name :protest: Heck, it's in the 10's of thousands, that aint chicken feed :laughing7: Let's go dig up some history! The problem is, like everyone else is saying, most of the newbies are quick to tire and then retire, when all they dig are beer tabs and zinc pennies. I'd venture to say that, for every new metal detector sold, at least half of them will be for sale within months, or the year, and out of that other half that doesn't get sold, probably 3 out of 5 of those will be gathering dust in a closet never to see the coil hit the soil again after the initial few trial runs after purchase. So for every 10 new detectors sold, maybe 2 of them will go to a good home. LOL

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay has changed a lot in the last 15-16 years. EBay stores were scarce then. Now they are the norm. It's really too big. Look at how many auctions have no bidders. The stores take up most of the space. But I still look.
It's a cheap way to retail considering overhead. Metal detectors aren't the only thing that's in abundance on Ebay. I just bought a mat cutter there. I would have thought there might be a page or two with them but there were a bunch.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The popularity of metal detecting has not gained that much really. I mean they sell a lot of them. But when the new guy gets a taste of the reality, the tecter gathers dust quick like. It's going to be a buyer's market, next fall.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The popularity of metal detecting has not gained that much really. I mean they sell a lot of them. But when the new guy gets a taste of the reality, the tecter gathers dust quick like. It's going to be a buyer's market, next fall.
...Hope your right...

halfstep

May 11, 2010

I agree. A lot of guys want to buy the very best detector without knowing anything about it. A detector is no smarter than the one using it and until a person learns how to use a detector, all that money they spent won't buy them any knowledge. Once they trun on the detector and it sounds like r2d2, they are confused and never get over it. Then they sell it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything you said except the first statement. I agree that it's going to be a buyer's market next fall, yes. I agree the new guys will quickly tire when they don't find instant riches. But I don't agree that metal detecting has not gained that much in popularity. I think it has. And the reason for it, are these shows, for better or for worse. These shows have given national exposure to our hobby over the last couple years. How can that not have an affect on the hobby?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND I NEVER SAW SO MANY FOR SALE..... Minelab detectors = 900..... Garrett detectors = 1500....Whites detectors = 800 .... Fisher detectors 1000..... Bounty hunter detectors = 1000.............Tesoro detectors = 250....... And i would have to say that it looks like by count that Tesoro users are happier with there detectors than other detector users...????

Was that count total for used detectors only, or included auctions for new and used and accessories too? I suspect your search was for total auctions which would include all... When I did a search for "Minelab Used" I found a total of 91 auctions which also included some accessories....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Was that count total for used detectors only, or included auctions for new and used and accessories too? I suspect your search was for total auctions which would include all... When I did a search for "Minelab Used" I found a total of 91 auctions which also included some accessories....
....Last year or so when i searched with the count low was with all accessories & detectors..... Then i searched this year the same way.....

afieldsne

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Safari on Ebay. It was every bit of new. The guy threw in all kinds of extras he bought and weren't even on the Ebay ad. 2 extras coils, a pro pointer. When I praised him afterwards, he offered to sell me a bunch of other stuff cheap. Greatest deal I ever got.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for a Fisher model and checking prices and deals and all the combo packages on e-bay. I decided I just needed the detector and saw a dealer not that far from me had one listed. It was a demo model it said. I was thinking yeah right. I went and saw him and it was brand new in the box and ended up getting $300.00 off list price . So the deals are out there. I bought a package deal from a sponsor here the at pro. It was their advertised special and they threw in a little shovel ( gave to my sister) and a leshe digger for free. I like e-bay though and may list my Harley on it. Ebay is a good starting place to get prices then go after the good deals. I was also surprised at the volume listed on e-bay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions