What are sellers thinking!!!???

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear people think their used detector, be it Minelab, Bounty Hunter or whatever must be made of GOLD! How is it that sellers can ask so much for a USED detector!? Heck....for as little as $10-20.00 more(for some) I could buy it brand new! Not all are that way but seems the vast majority are. Some people are asking for and getting $150.00+ for a used detector that is at least 20 plus years old. I just wanted something decent and relatively inexpensive to ease back into MD'ing, since I'm not sure if my shoulder can take it or not. If the prices I'm seeing on Craigslist, Ebay and elsewhere are the norm, then I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my thoughts on MD'ing. Sorry for the rant...I'm just frustrated.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I swear people think their used detector, be it Minelab, Bounty Hunter or whatever must be made of GOLD! How is it that sellers can ask so much for a USED detector!? Heck....for as little as $10-20.00 more(for some) I could buy it brand new! Not all are that way but seems the vast majority are. Some people are asking for and getting $150.00+ for a used detector that is at least 20 plus years old. I just wanted something decent and relatively inexpensive to ease back into MD'ing, since I'm not sure if my shoulder can take it or not. If the prices I'm seeing on Craigslist, Ebay and elsewhere are the norm, then I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my thoughts on MD'ing. Sorry for the rant...I'm just frustrated.
......i know what you mean... Just don't buy them then they will lower there price........I have seen Garrett AT 4 go for over $200.00 last week and Garrett has not had coils for it for years now.........Or make coils for that detector now.................And the owners of used Minelabs Excaliburs they are way out of there minds on there asking price......

Last edited:
OP
OP
'bulaDirtDog

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......i know what you mean... Just don't buy them then they will lower there price........I have seen Garrett AT 4 go for over $200.00 last week and Garrett has not had coils for it for years now.........Or make coils for that detector now.................And the owners of used Minelabs Excaliburs they are way out of there minds on there asking price......
I agree......but the problem is there always seems to be someone out there with DEEP POCKETS who buys them. So that being the case the prices never seem to come down.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a combination of people thinking because their used stuff "looks" nice after 5 years in the closet, it should be worth almost full value. Then you have people who will do anything to save literally a few dollars, even if it means buying an old item that no longer has support or parts available, or paying 90% of full retail for a used item.

You can still find good used deals but you have to spend a lot of time looking and you have be the first person to see the ad because they don't last more than a few hours..

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've wondered if my at-pro could work as well 10-15 years from now. I and I think most think, if it comes on, its fine. Is there anywhere on the unit and or packaging, to when it was manufactured? Many have been manufactured for years. Most clean up well. I guess most think now as they did 30 plus years ago, where else can tech take this. I want the next generation that says " 8 inchs to the left Ray" or " 76 yards at 2 o'clock". How about, "bear/ poison ivy on your right" or "here comes sherriff John Brown"! LOL

speter42

Jan 22, 2013
St Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Leaning toward A Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've wondered if my at-pro could work as well 10-15 years from now. I and I think most think, if it comes on, its fine. Is there anywhere on the unit and or packaging, to when it was manufactured? Many have been manufactured for years. Most clean up well. I guess most think now as they did 30 plus years ago, where else can tech take this. I want the next generation that says " 8 inchs to the left Ray" or " 76 yards at 2 o'clock". How about, "bear/ poison ivy on your right" or "here comes sherriff John Brown"! LOL

For the Garrett AT Pro, it was first Mfg'ed in 2010.

S/N: (8 digit number)

1st # always "5"...routing #
2nd # year made...(0= 2010, 1=2011, 2=2012, etc.etc)
3rd and 4th # = the week (number) it was made (01=1st week of Jan. 05= 1st week of Feb....and 52= last week of Dec. etc,etc)
(rest of the numbers mean nothing to us)

Received this information directly from Garrett MFG in Texas, on Feb.6,2013

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

They are thinking they can hook people that dont know jack squat about what the frik they are talking about. And they are correct.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is truly the old supply and demand issue.

I sell a number of guns, ammo, and ham radios. People a lot of time get after me and say "you're ripping people off!!!", yet as they are yelling at me, I have 10 people lined up waving cash in my face.

I will bend over backward to help out new people in any hobby, but when the market is paying top dollar for stuff, it is very hard not to take the big money.

That said, I usually won't buy an item unless I am paying 20% of retail or less. I will then fix/clean it and sell it for 50-70% of retail. I make a dandy profit and somebody gets a nice item for much cheaper than full retail. I also take pride in that, if I sell an item, I accurately and truthfully describe it. I don't ever lie or sugar coat anything.

WM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread