puzzled

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i own a midrange tesoro and my buddy owns a hundred dollar bounty hunter. he consistently quadruples my finds of modern day change, but i usually seem to find the neater objects in the ground, plus i do manage to smoke him on nickels. it doesnt make sense to me that my discrimination is set low enuff to find nickels and his apparently isnt, but that he totally crushes me with the number of modern day change he finds. can anyone explain this?

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot to mention he was always the one that could bend over and always find a four leaf clover growing out of the grass right there on the spot.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does he have more time with his detector? He may know the tones of the coins hes after. I know, when I use my Prizm III for just totlot hunting, I can almost tell you whats in the ground just by what I'm hearing. That's just something to think about.

HH
PTP

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Cibola and have been doing extremely well on it. I think the Tesoros work on a slightly higher frequency, so you'll get more gold, silver and pewter. You might have the discriminator set too high.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch videos on here or Youtube on your detector& hunt everyday.

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i definitly have more time with my detector than he. and if im correct, his is only a two tone detector-one tone for good and one tone for trash. but hey, maybe he is still hearing something im not.

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey smokey, i have found more gold and silver than he, but as i said earlier, i always outdo him in the nickel category which tells me im definitely not discriminating too high. i can accept the fact that hes just more talented than me at finding modern coins but that still doesnt give an explanation how im finding more tokens, jewelry, and nickels than he, while he just plain annihilates me on all other modern change. i will also include that he has yet to find any silver coin. so i guess your point about finding more gold and silver with a tesoro seems to agree with my observations. so philosophicaly, i wonder if its better to find tons of modern change, or to find that occasional silver or gold. id almost have to go with the steady change since that would be more likely to fund my future hunts and new tecter purchases. but i do more love that feeling of finding the old artifacts or the occasional precious piece of jewelry :)

Last edited:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does he dig the same amount of other stuff? If he has his detector set to max discrimination = more coins and less "other stuff". You probably have less discrimination = more "other stuff" less coins. In other words, he's digging coins while you're digging coins and other stuff.

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does he dig the same amount of other stuff? If he has his detector set to max discrimination = more coins and less "other stuff". You probably have less discrimination = more "other stuff" less coins. In other words, he's digging coins while you're digging coins and other stuff.

no, he does not dig as much of the other stuff. and he seems to be able to avoid tabs a lot more than i, which seems strange to me also, because what sounds like a tab to me seems to turn out to be change alot of the time. i tell him he should be digging what he thinks to be a tab which could also explain why im finding the rarer finds such as jewelry and old silver. maybe i should turn my discriminate sky high one day while hunting with him and see if our change numbers come out to be any closer.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy with some detectors, like my Xterra to cherry pick quarters and dimes. I do it when I'm short of time or feeling lazy. He may be doing the same, picking up the clad by sound and passing by the other signals.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say more a difference in individual hunting style and the settings you both use.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I know what you are talking about. Be it a Bounty Hunter or a Fisher F2...some guys hall butt swinging in an arc, breaking all the rules and come back and beat bigger machines, and more veteran timed hunters. I haven't figured it out either, 'cept that some people are just luckier than others. Swinging and diging clad is maybe not hard. We dedicated vets may just make it that way. martin

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you are talking about. Be it a Bounty Hunter or a Fisher F2...some guys hall butt swinging in an arc, breaking all the rules and come back and beat bigger machines, and more veteran timed hunters. I haven't figured it out either, 'cept that some people are just luckier than others. Swinging and diging clad is maybe not hard. We dedicated vets may just make it that way. martin

hes definitely a rule breaker, bounces around all over the place. i guess by the time i make it through a 10x10 area digging most of the signals i pick up, he has covered a fifty square yard area and dug more signals overall. wondering if being more thorough is hampering me. guess the conclusion im coming too is that i need to change up my style abit in different situations to get different results. now that i think about it, in the short time ive been detecting, ive only done it one way and thats slow and methodical. think i may try adding some different approaches to the tool box.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed a lot of successful dectorist that don't use "good" technique. I have noticed that in areas that don't have obvious hot spots for coins, that people who skip around a lot and don't overlap do have good luck. I think it is because they average covering more area because they aren't slowed down by taking the time to think about overlapping. Also, I think they are more likely to discover hot spots of coins while sampling all over the place.

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever try going back over an area he's detected to see if you can find some of the deeper targets he missed?

I sound like your buddy, not that I pull a lot out of the ground, but work quickly and move on.
Always thinking where the most traffic is/was, pass a deep target thinking to come back later.
Not methodical at all. Maybe even a little ADD. I start out with a plan and see an area that looks promising and go. LOL

Nothing wrong with being methodical, but the more ground you swing over where people traffic, the better the odds of finding stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread