Metal Detector

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Any detector is better than no detector

Would this be your first detector? Do you have any thoughts on what is the most you might spend? Is your maximum price you would spend based on not having more money to spend, or is it based on you may not feel you have much time for the hobby? Or is it based on you're not sure how much you would enjoy the hobby, if you would stick with it for years?

I recommend that if a person expects they will spend much time doing this for years, that they get a detector near the top of their budget range. The Garrett AT Pro (I love it) is one of the hottest sellers right now. Dealers can't put a price on the internet less than 15% off MSRP, but may quote you a lower price on phone or in e-mail, but probably still about $500 or so. The good news is they go used for about 80%-90% of the new price if you need/want to sell.

The Garrett Ace 250 the deepest dime I got that IDed correctly was 4" deep. $212.45 is lowest price they can put on internet. When I got the new AT Pro, shortly after I set the ground balance properly, I got a 7" dime that IDed correctly every time I passed the coil over it. I was shocked at the ID accuracy at depth, as this was moderately mineralized soil that was dry & hard. A 75% improvement! I've never had a Bounty Hunter that could correctly ID a dime beyond 4".

I have a $749 Teknetics G2 bought used that I also like very much. Manual ground balance. Teknetics offers the Omega 8000 for $599, manual ground balance. The Gamma 6000 for $499 has ground grab to balance minerals. The $279 Teknetics Delta 4000 is OK if you don't have extreme mineralization, as it can only be controlled by reducing sensitivity or spending about $150 extra for a DD coil.

I also have an older Garrett (GTAx 1250) that locks onto IDs at depth good, just reading a little low on the deeper coins.

If you plan to detect places that have been gone over 100s or 1000s of times like your 1800s parks, you must get as deep or deeper than the competition, or try to be content finding new coins. Occasionally an old coin is shallow, but most old parks have been renovated with fill dirt. Cheyenne had 14,087 people in 1900. Any more ? will try to answer. Best wishes, George (MN)

evL

Feb 11, 2013
Montana
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 :: Coils :: ML 9" - 7.5 kHz Concentric / ML 6" - 18.75 kHz DD / ML 15" - 18.75 kHz DD / ML 10" x 5" - 18.75 kHz Elliptical DD / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MineLab X-Terra 705. Not the Gold version. That coil isn't water proof. Just the one with the 9" concentric coil, 7.5 kHz., which is water proof. Then get the 6" 18.75 kHz. double "D" coil which is water proof for your prospecting. You get the same machine either way you go, it is the coil that is different. I myself prefer water proof, not water resistant coils. This machine retails at $729.00 new. I suggest KellyCo as well. This detector works! I love mine and one more hint, don't order online, call KellyCo and make friends... You'll be happy you did. This goes for what ever detector you decide to buy. Trust me. Have a good day sir...

evL
[][][]

OP
OP
raf2750

raf2750

Jan 13, 2013
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
evL said:
MineLab X-Terra 705. Not the Gold version. That coil isn't water proof. Just the one with the 9" concentric coil, 7.5 kHz., which is water proof. Then get the 6" 18.75 kHz. double "D" coil which is water proof for your prospecting. You get the same machine either way you go, it is the coil that is different. I myself prefer water proof, not water resistant coils. This machine retails at $729.00 new. I suggest KellyCo as well. This detector works! I love mine and one more hint, don't order online, call KellyCo and make friends... You'll be happy you did. This goes for what ever detector you decide to buy. Trust me. Have a good day sir...

evL
[][][]

thank you for your input.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for a starter I think I would go with something like a Garret Ace 150 - 250 - 350! Just my thoughts. No matter what you get you will be addicted like the rest of us,lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread