Metal Detecting in New Braunfels, Texas

mlamp20412

Apr 26, 2008
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of any historical sites, but growing up I remember going tubing somewhere around there. There was a chute you could tube through or stand and slide on the soles of your tennis shoes. I would imaging someone could make out with a waterproof detector at the bottom of the chute.

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Harry and welcome to the forum. If by "historical sites" you mean old battle grounds and such, I don't know of any that are open to detecting. But New Braunfels is an old town and there are many possibilities for you to consider. You will need to check your city ordinances but Landa Park should offer good hunting if you can pick your way through the trash as will any of the parks along the river. Even better are the old private residences. Yes, you have to ask for permission but it's worth it. If the house is currently occupied just knock on the door and explain who you are and what you would like to do. Be sure to say that you will not be digging big holes and that you will leave the yard in at least as good a shape as it in now. It helps to practice your spiel ahead of time. If the house is vacant you will need to find the current owner. I live in Bastrop County and use the County Appraisal District GIS map to do this. Once I know the name and address of the owner I use the internet "white pages" to try for a match. Then I call and make my pitch over the phone. I've found that I get permission over the phone about as often as I do in person. If I'm refused permission I thank them for their time and close by saying "Give me a call if you ever decide you want to know what's hiding in your yard". If I'm talking in person I give them a card with my phone number on it. This often plants a seed in the owner's mind and they start to wonder about what might be hidden out there.

Another of my favorite places to hunt is older churches. Kids are given change to put into the collection plate. Then they start running around playing and not all of those coins make it inside the church. Women tend to wear their good jewelry to church and some of it gets lost. I approach the minister for permission and offer to split my finds. I also tell him that should I find jewelry I will notify him so that he can announce it to the congregation and give them my phone number. If a church member calls and describes the item I've found I return it to them. It is great PR both for you and for metal detecting in general. As a side note, I've never had a minister accept half the change I found especially if I show it to them before I clean it up.

Let me know if you ever get over Bastrop way.

Storm

OP
OP
H

Harryxxx

Feb 13, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.

Thanks for the quick reply. Harry
I don't know of any historical sites, but growing up I remember going tubing somewhere around there. There was a chute you could tube through or stand and slide on the soles of your tennis shoes. I would imaging someone could make out with a waterproof detector at the bottom of the chute.

OP
OP
H

Harryxxx

Feb 13, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Storm. Landa Park is OFF LIMITS but I appreciate the response and information. When I can get to Bastrop, I'll let you know and perhaps we can get together. Harry
Hi Harry and welcome to the forum. If by "historical sites" you mean old battle grounds and such, I don't know of any that are open to detecting. But New Braunfels is an old town and there are many possibilities for you to consider. You will need to check your city ordinances but Landa Park should offer good hunting if you can pick your way through the trash as will any of the parks along the river. Even better are the old private residences. Yes, you have to ask for permission but it's worth it. If the house is currently occupied just knock on the door and explain who you are and what you would like to do. Be sure to say that you will not be digging big holes and that you will leave the yard in at least as good a shape as it in now. It helps to practice your spiel ahead of time. If the house is vacant you will need to find the current owner. I live in Bastrop County and use the County Appraisal District GIS map to do this. Once I know the name and address of the owner I use the internet "white pages" to try for a match. Then I call and make my pitch over the phone. I've found that I get permission over the phone about as often as I do in person. If I'm refused permission I thank them for their time and close by saying "Give me a call if you ever decide you want to know what's hiding in your yard". If I'm talking in person I give them a card with my phone number on it. This often plants a seed in the owner's mind and they start to wonder about what might be hidden out there.

Another of my favorite places to hunt is older churches. Kids are given change to put into the collection plate. Then they start running around playing and not all of those coins make it inside the church. Women tend to wear their good jewelry to church and some of it gets lost. I approach the minister for permission and offer to split my finds. I also tell him that should I find jewelry I will notify him so that he can announce it to the congregation and give them my phone number. If a church member calls and describes the item I've found I return it to them. It is great PR both for you and for metal detecting in general. As a side note, I've never had a minister accept half the change I found especially if I show it to them before I clean it up.

Let me know if you ever get over Bastrop way.

Storm

Deep_Diggler

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storm,

I am in the Bastrop area myself. I just started MD'ing, but would have some family spots that I hit up this past weekend. I would be interested in going out sometime. Also, I grew up in the area and am related to about half the county. Maybe I could help get some of those permissions!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thank you, Storm. Landa Park is OFF LIMITS but I appreciate the response and information. When I can get to Bastrop, I'll let you know and perhaps we can get together. Harry

Harry, just curious: how did you determine that this particular park is off-limits? Where is that written?

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bn thinking of doing that I live in Houston and we camp alot and bn wondering about MDing the river

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was living there, landa was off limits, I had heard of people been thrown in jail for trying it there. as for where the tubing shoot it, the bottom Is filled with millions of beer cans, outside of town you can hunt the gaudalupe river. san Antonio has the permit deal for its newer parks, anything old is a no go. poth has some old parks that are okay to hunt.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think an underwater detctor would come in handy on the Gudalupe.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harryxxx,I always wanted to go MD'ing just north of the big Walmart warehouse on I-35,there's an exit just after that warehouse and a old house sitting at the top of that exit.

Khooter

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your post and I am new to metal detecting and I live in new braunfels. I was seeing if you know of any sites to look at?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think an underwater detctor would come in handy on the Gudalupe.

Have you seen the size of the gar in that river? lol

Any where in that whole area should be pretty neat, The president sold that land to the German immigrants in 1841 or so? Good Luck! Keep your eyes open for older things though!

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A year old post…….how did you make out on New Braunfels, Texas……recall visiting there a few times when the gov sent me there for "vacations" at Ft Sam

Oct 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vacation in July

Does anyone have any information about Historical sites to MDetect in the New Braunfels, Texas area? Also, anyone intereste in detecting together? Thanks in advance. [email protected]

I’m interested in Hunting on my vacation which we rented a place on the Guadalupe river from 7/4-7/8 is there anything to hunt for in the area? I’m using a whites spectra V3i with a 4/6 and stock coil with a TRX Pinpointer! Please respond to my email [email protected]

MaeRae

Aug 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a local here in New Braunfels trying to find some fun locations to detect. Any follow ups to this post?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions