lots of clad, but wheres the silver?

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
lots of clad, but where's the silver?

I live in a major metropolitan area, in the inner city area there are houses that were built before the civil war, and I mean lots of them, further out the houses were probably built between 1900 and 1930. Most of the houses we detect are boarded up by the city and owned by the city for back taxes. There is a lot of junk but there is money. We have hunted about thirty houses so far and to date we have yet to find one silver coin. Everything coming out of the ground is clad. The areas we hunt are not the best areas, they are inner city, and there is a lot of crime, but doing it in the daylight and on colder days and there is really no one out. Just can't figure out where the silver is. Three of us, one White's Eagle (White's Electronics had this machine souped up by Jimmy Sierra), the guy using the Eagle simply cannot be out-hunted, one White's MXT and one Tesoro Tejon. All are good machines. In two days, and not many hours I found over 50 coins, and not one silver, between us, probably over 100 coins. Now, most of these houses have never been hunted so I know they were not wiped out years ago, but where is the silver? Could it have sunk down so far as to be not detectible? I know people had less money back then, and watched their money more closely, but there should be silver, any ideas?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What's the deepest coins that you've been able to find? And have you noticed any tendancy for the deeper ones to be older? Eg.: are the early '60s memorials (giving evidence by their wear that they didn't circulate long) deeper than the newer clad? What depth is that the deepest ones are coming from? So for example, if you say that getting early to mid '60s memorials, is at 6", and you say that those signals are "all you can do" to find (ie.; the deepest whispers you're getting at with your machine and skill level), and if we are to assume the depths are stratified by age (which is usual for turf by-the-way), then yes: It might be that you're not getting deep enough to get the oldies.

The same is true for parks: If I come to a new park, in a city while travelling .... and I sample the deeper targets I'd able to stretch for (the deepest whispers), and ..... if they turn out to be a 1965 memorial ....... then .... that doesn't bode well. I'll test it multiple more times (since flukes and anomolies exist), and if all the coins are turning out to have this pattern of super deep, then that doesn't bode well.

If the yards are, as you say, boarded up, derelict, and abandoned, you can do the following experiment: Take the oldest of yards, that is really junky, and take a flat shovel, and scrape off your own home-spun scrape job. An area the size of a kitchen table, down to 6" deep. Should take only 5 min or so if you're buff and in shape :) Then stop, and detect again. There was an 1870's park in San Francisco that was under-going all sort of trenching work last year, and so, as such, was all torn up (yet not "scraped", per se). So we used the opportunity (since nothing would be hurt), to go in and take flat shovels, to litterally scrape down 6 or 8" in various zones. It was back-breaking work, but everytime we'd stop to detect, we'd get a few more early wheaties, buffalos, some silver, etc... for our effort :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....I never take the large coil off of my Tejon,but even with the stock coil I promise you the Eagle or the MXT are not getting better depth that you....and with the big coil I can hear a dime at 16"+

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread