Very exited!

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to detect near a stream on (private property) where on the 1875 map it says saw mill but on some later maps (I think one in the 1890s and one in 1916) it doesn't show saw mill anymore but near it it shows school! I'm very happy and wondering if the saw mill would have closed in the 1800s and why it would have? Thanks!

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted for about three hours, the lady was extremely nice! She gave me a tour of the inside her 200+ year home and showed me an arrowhead she found there herself! She also told me that she heard somebody found a gold pice in the stream! I didn't find any coins or really old relics but it was cool!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted for about three hours, the lady was extremely nice! She gave me a tour of the inside her 200+ year home and showed me an arrowhead she found there herself! She also told me that she heard somebody found a gold pice in the stream! I didn't find any coins or really old relics but it was cool!
1 day or 1 week does little at a big site or even a small site it takes many many hours of hunting to open a site up and see whats inside...think of it like a onion theres lots of layers
...i spent 3 hours in a virgin park and only found 1 dime and i thought well i cherry picked that park out...so a month later when i was bored i went back and bang 13 silver that day...been back and dug over 30 from there and its less than an acre park that ive spent no less than 100 hours in by now ....dont give up on old sites after 3 hours

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 day or 1 week does little at a big site or even a small site it takes many many hours of hunting to open a site up and see whats inside...think of it like a onion theres lots of layers
...i spent 3 hours in a virgin park and only found 1 dime and i thought well i cherry picked that park out...so a month later when i was bored i went back and bang 13 silver that day...been back and dug over 30 from there and its less than an acre park that ive spent no less than 100 hours in by now ....dont give up on old sites after 3 hours

Thank you for the advice! I might have to go back sometime! I know my 350 can find something!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on future hunts. The artifacts are waiting to be found...as well as some old silver.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for large trees where they may have had their lunch then layed back and lost change. Gathering spots in back where they may have had a smoke or hooch out of view of the boss. Anywhere along the water. Good luck. TTC

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for large trees where they may have had their lunch then layed back and lost change. Gathering spots in back where they may have had a smoke or hooch out of view of the boss. Anywhere along the water. Good luck. TTC

Thanks! There was a big tree I went around and I did do in the stream a little, the lady said a little further in the stream there was a big hole like 8' ish swimming hole?

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She also mentioned it was the biggest dairy in the area at one time!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silversnatcher,
Your place sounds like a dream come true and it should have a wonderful surprise for you.............63 bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is too deep for your detector (not submersible) rig up a strainer like the archies do. TTC

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if the saw mill wasn't converted into that school :icon_scratch:

I don't believe so, the school was a little way down according to the owner, she didn't know anything about the saw mill though.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe so, the school was a little way down according to the owner, she didn't know anything about the saw mill though.
Try the library maybe you can find some info there and if your lucky acouple pictures...sometimes the land owner doesnt rember the real story things can get skewed ..

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry really needs to answer this but I will take a stab at it - for the 8' deep pool to get an idea of what is in there a person can rig up a "scoop" of sorts with small holes drilled into it to let the water drain, put the scoop/bucket on a long handle like a length of conduit and scrape the bottom of the pond with it. Check contents of scoop and see what you find. At least, this is what I've done at one location and I found money down there................63bkpkr

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry really needs to answer this but I will take a stab at it - for the 8' deep pool to get an idea of what is in there a person can rig up a "scoop" of sorts with small holes drilled into it to let the water drain, put the scoop/bucket on a long handle like a length of conduit and scrape the bottom of the pond with it. Check contents of scoop and see what you find. At least, this is what I've done at one location and I found money down there................63bkpkr

Oh! I get it! Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread