question for the more savy Mder

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
question for the more savy Md'er

OK to preface this question to the more experienced Md'r I would like to know something i do know from reading the posts here, that there is not one size fits all metal detector. So I know i want to get more then just one. "Wife going nuts on oh boy this hobby will never pay for itself."
So I bought a AT Pro still impatienly waiting for it. Now with my above statment does one stick to just one brand or buy diffrent brands? I know for golf I use ping and cleavland and titelist. a hodge poge of clubs. Were as with my archery I am a strict Hoyt all the way and strict Beman arrow don't mix or match any thing there. so basicly does the every day to hard core metal detector enthusiast that has more then one detector stick with th same brand or has a hodge podge of detectors? Ok i think I may have opened a can of worms but thats ok they make good fish bate.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to personal preference lots of guys/gals on here have multi brands and some swear by one brand. I know that should help. Lol

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are better served if you get multiple brands. You may find that you really like or dislike some and will eventually build an arsenal of detectors that fits you perfectly.

OP
OP
scurvy_seadog

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is kinda what i was thinking too multiple brands there are some that I really really want to get.

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, IMHO. I have used many differant detectors. I dont see a prob in having more than one brand. If you stick with the big 5 Fisher, Minelab, Whites, Garret and Torsoro you cant go wrong. The AT pro that you have is a great all around machine. Great on Land and in the Water, The only short fall is salt water messed with them some. All machine have their different issues though. Keep in mind that all metal detectors are going to sound different. The advantage to staying with one brand is consistancy in tone ID, but it you dont think that is going to be an issue for you, then buy a diff brand no big deal. I have atleast one of all the detectors above, I know you dont need all those detectors but I just like trying them all. For land hunting I prefer the Fisher F75 and for Water the Minelab Excalibur.... That just my opinion hope it helps

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own and use two brands of metal detectors, and two of the three types. You add machines to your "bag," for the same reason you add golf clubs, or reach for a particular tool in your toolbox - the right tool, club or machine, for that particular job.

With the AT Pro, you have a quality Very Low Frequency (single-frequency) machine, that will work well in dirt, freshwater, and dry saltwater beach sand. If you decide to take up wet saltwater beach hunting, you'll need a multi-frequency VLF machine, or a pulse induction metal detector to get the best results. The best advice is to WAIT, learn your AT Pro, and then see if you need a "Driver," or a "Putter," to go with it! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
scurvy_seadog

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and use two brands of metal detectors, and two of the three types. You add machines to your "bag," for the same reason you add golf clubs, or reach for a particular tool in your toolbox - the right tool, club or machine, for that particular job.

With the AT Pro, you have a quality Very Low Frequency (single-frequency) machine, that will work well in dirt, freshwater, and dry saltwater beach sand. If you decide to take up wet saltwater beach hunting, you'll need a multi-frequency VLF machine, or a pulse induction metal detector to get the best results. The best advice is to WAIT, learn your AT Pro, and then see if you need a "Driver," or a "Putter," to go with it! :thumbsup:
Thank you great advice will take it heart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread