HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to share my technique of finding a civil war camp for maybe some hunters who are having problems or issues finding a virgin camp or one that is not really been dug out, where the soldiers would have been for over a few weeks or months.

From the photo below which was taken in Stafford, Virginia in Belle Plains in 1862 is a camp of the 150th Pennsylvania Infantry camp and I found this camp as pretty much a virgin camp (it was hit by a few relic hunters but not a single of them dug out any hut sites and they also missed a lot of good deep signal relics) and the only reasons I found this camp was because of the photo and knowledge of the land of that area.. I just so happen to know a few locations of that hill side in the photo and ended up finding the camp..

As you can tell in the photo the camp is situated more on a hill side than flat ground and in fact A LOT of camps here in Stafford are setup this way and I often wonder why they never choose to put the camps on flat ground, anyway, the reason this camp was missed a lot by many relic hunters was because of the hill which is now nothing but heavily grown woods and fairly steeper then it was 150 years ago.

When your looking for a Civil War camp they many of many times did not setup camp on flat ground but more of a hill like in this photo, it is very very important when looking for a civil war camp to check the hill sides like in this photo.. They would actually dig deep hut sites into the hill side, so just a little clue when your out trying to find a camp!

Good luck and thanks guys I really do want you all to find those US & CS buckles,breastplates & buttons!

Photo:
The 150th Pennsylvania Infantry camp on Belle Plain, Virginia, is pictured in March 1863, three weeks before the Battle of Chancellorsville. (AP Photo/Library of Congress)

Attachments

• belle plains.jpg
    belle plains.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 950
Last edited:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great info this helps a lot!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.................camp on hillsides because flat ground does not drain....a rainstorm on flat ground in a dug out really sucks......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread