MD storage at home..and when traveling?

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just curious..if you have several detectors and extras like pointer/hand shovel, earphones,ect..what or where do you all store them? I was thinking using a semi-tall small gun cabinet in corner of a bedroom and keep extra coils and stuff in the bottom slide out door? I could leave them assembled and hang them. remove glass door though and make front door solid so no see into. For traveling I came across a nice mid size to large samsonite locking black plastic suitcase. has wheels and retracting handle. It would hold 2-3 detectors and some acc. I'd have to get thick foam in it and straps but is very HD and nice. What do you guys use? (P.S. I have original bag for gti 1500..but want more room)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When at home i hang it up on the garage wall....... When i go out i just put it in the back seat.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine lives in the trunk of my car. Hasn't been out since...uh,,,,September.

OP
OP
C

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets real cold here (WI) in winter..won't that sub-zero hurt the electronics?..I heard it will..But I don't know,.I think it depends on weather wouldn't it? If not- Garage it will be. Thanks

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have heard that the heat and cold will hurt the detectors.......... But i live in Ohio were at times in the summer it will get in the 90's in the winter at times it will get below 0....But i never take my radar detector or my GPS out of my truck they stay in there year around and it never hurt them.................... And i have left my detector in there summer and winter at times when i was at work and it never hurt them...... I think it is just a old wives tale,,...

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most electronics can handle the cold just fine. The problem is the displays and the batteries.

Here in Wyoming, we get to -40 air temp every winter. At that temp, batteries can freeze solid and burst individual cells.

The LCD displays can crack or have dead areas. Most of the time, LCD displays will be okay once warmed back up, but I have seen many fail.

The other problem is the plastic housings themselves. At those temps, plastic and some metals can become extremely brittle.

In the winter, I just bring electronics inside and not risk the damage.

WM

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I store mine in a main floor closet. In snow country garages get pretty damp in winter, too damp to store a detector. I do store all of my diggers and sand scoops in the garage in the winter, and in the car trunk in the summer. If you are planning to travel by air, I'd suggest leaving your controls and coil in your carry on bag and checking your rods only. They're considerably less expensive to replace if your luggage is lost and checking a whole detector makes it attractive to thieves.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I store mine in a main floor closet. In snow country garages get pretty damp in winter, too damp to store a detector. I do store all of my diggers and sand scoops in the garage in the winter, and in the car trunk in the summer. If you are planning to travel by air, I'd suggest leaving your controls and coil in your carry on bag and checking your rods only. They're considerably less expensive to replace if your luggage is lost and checking a whole detector makes it attractive to thieves.
Yes i don't worry about the cold or heat to much...... But i will not store them in any damp area......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread