Who here goes armed whenever they are out in the field prospecting or detecting?

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I grew up in the woods and always had a sidearm with me. Whenever I go out these days prospecting, I always have my pistol on me. I've run into quite a few folks out prospecting as well and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else armed.

Anyone else also carry while out exploring? What do you carry?

I carry either my S&W MP40 fullsize in a military flap holster or my custom-built snake gun that is a single-shot 12ga cut down for hiking in snake country.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i just take my hunting knife nothing in the woods that scares me i'll take on a bear if i have to

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I carry my XD9 when I am in certain areas. Really I try to carry any time I can, but due to certain restrictions I find my self not fightin the issue and rolling with the military issue riot spray!!

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it depends where I'm going, I carry my Colt 45, personal hand cannon if I am alone, If I am with my kids (4 under age 17) I carry a Lighting Rod Stun gun, and my 2 oldest daughters carry stun guns as well while MDing but if Im prospecting I carry a tactical mace spray gun..lol...and it doesn't matter if it gets wet....

Im NOT afraid to die, Im only afraid of how my kids and I might be killed....

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't go out in the desert unarmed. Ever. Chance favors the prepared.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am armed pretty much at all times...generally a .40,sometimes my Desert Eagle

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never leave home without a friend.

Attachments

• Fatso.jpg
    Fatso.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 208

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I occasionally detect schoolyards and it's mostly frowned upon to have a sidearm there.

I do wear rattler (single earpiece) to be aware of what is around me.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I think carrying in a schoolyard would get you some new friends quickly.

Phreddy

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have cougar, grizzley and black bear in this area. When I go into the hills I always carry my Defender 12.5" 12 gauge with slugs. Never carry when on the beach or anywhere in town. Son got stalked by a big cat a couple of years ago and lesson learned.

Vaquero45

Jan 21, 2012
Brunswick County, VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of critters in the woods.

I carry an XDm in 9mm most of the time. You can't beat having 20 rounds standing by.

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked the streets for 26 years as a paramedic and for 6 of those years I was also a deputy sheriff. I don't walk out of the house unarmed. To me it's cheap insurance.

Storm

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been carrying a gun wherever I go since I was about 8 years old. It is just a way of life here.

I ALWAYS carry a concealed handgun. The state of Wyoming in very gun friendly and you can carry darn near everywhere.

In the truck, I ALWAYS have an AR with 120rnds of ammo ready. At all times, I know that if I can get to the truck I can lay down some serious firepower.

Along those lines, I also train extensively. I have been a competitive shooter as well as qualified for the law enforcement academy. Not only do I carry the weapons, but I darn sure know how to use them.

I was a street paramedic/firefighter for 14 years. There is evil in this world. I have the scars to prove it.

WM

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
No places around here that would warrant taking a side arm, and I hunt a lot of spots, even at night. My hand on my digging dagger is probably all I would need. I might consider concealed, other than that I don't need the aggravation.

WoofWoof

Greenie
Apr 28, 2012
Gettysburg
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT Pro, Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I promised myself years ago that my last words will never be "damn, wish I had my gun."

The Punisher

Feb 6, 2013
Elkin NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Garrett CXiii
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this when in bear woods (I know NC isnt bear country) My custom 480 Alaskan
1526722871_photobucket_42880_-1.jpg

SN851048.jpg

put a Ruger LCP is on me all the time......1st rule when in trouble, make sure you the one with the gun....

jeff s

Greenie
Feb 17, 2013
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
prospecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i do most carry it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it i have meet some real cooks out there.

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this when in bear woods (I know NC isnt bear country) My custom 480 Alaskan
1526722871_photobucket_42880_-1.jpg

SN851048.jpg

put a Ruger LCP is on me all the time......1st rule when in trouble, make sure you the one with the gun....

That is beautiful! I've been thinking of something smaller than my M&P, like a Ruger LC9. My biggest predators I may encounter are Mountain lions and the badger I ran into in a mine last week, so the 9mm would be fine...

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.45 acp Commander in dangerous(bear) country. I let Sam Colt speak for me. Idiot spray(mace) for the two legged types......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread