Need advice for a beginner looking to buy

sonnybros

Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post and i look forward to learning a lot on this site. I am wanting to start metal detecting with my children. Question is what is a good detector for me? I am in Tennessee so i wont be using it in sand. My budget is around $250 for the detector, wand and headset. Thx any advice or tips are appreciated. I also could use advice on what is best to use to dig with?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York! You are going to get a lot of different suggestions, here are mine.

In your budget range, you can get a Tesoro Compadre, a Lesche digging tool, a finds bag and Headphones. Talk with one of the forum sponsors. The other machines you should look at are the Garrett Ace 150, Ace 250, and the Fisher F2. Good Luck!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the compadre, it's every bit as good as the others he mentioned, but about $50 bucks cheeper, and is rugged and has a lifetime guaranty!

hehe that's my 2 cents. . . not sure it's worth that

hh
ptp

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Master

OP
OP
S

sonnybros

Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Guys, I ordered a Tesoro Compadre today. I cant wait to get started. Is there a cheaper good digging tool instead of the Lesche?

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thx Guys, I ordered a Tesoro Compadre today. I cant wait to get started. Is there a cheaper good digging tool instead of the Lesche?

I ordered a treasure wise 3 in 1 digger. Cheaper, will report back on how it does.

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post and i look forward to learning a lot on this site. I am wanting to start metal detecting with my children. Question is what is a good detector for me? I am in Tennessee so i wont be using it in sand. My budget is around $250 for the detector, wand and headset. Thx any advice or tips are appreciated. I also could use advice on what is best to use to dig with?
Best thing to do is call places like kellyco and talk with a real person there. They will not steer you wrong tell them your budget and what you want then they will suggest the best one that fits your bill but call different stores. not just one.

stilllooking

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2013
Germantown, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I couldn't afford that particular digger either. I went to Lowes and found one that looked just like it and it works great! Where in Tennessee are u located?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck with your new hobby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread