Why did you start?

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have always been into hunting, fishing, shooting, and anything that gets me into the woods. My uncle down in Yuma has a Tesoro Lobo Supertraq and while visiting him and my parents, he remarked how I lived in a very gold rich area and could probably find nuggets in my area.

I started researching online and saw all sorts of folks finding cool stuff. So I bought my own Tesoro and immediately discovered just how much junk there is in creek beds and dry washes...

I then thought I would have better luck panning and tried that with limited success. Then I started sluicing, and am just in love with prospecting! It was disappointing to learn that I'll never get rich, but I have had so much fun and exercise that I am officially addicted...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend around the corner got a Radioshack metal detector for a Christmas present,the kind that you had to build yourself,and for about 6 months we and all of our friends thought we were treasure hunters.Several years later I bought a Jetco from Kmart for about $50 and went back to all the places we went earlier and found a whole bunch more stuff.

afieldsne

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the same reason all of us did, lonely, no friends, not good at anything else...... lol. No, cuz it's fun.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got started because this guy made me think that I could get rich quick :icon_scratch:

American_digger_bios_nick.jpg

I have always liked the outdoors and old things. I collect antiques and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Metal detecting is the perfect way for my to combine my interests; that is getting the thrill of finding old things outside in the ground. I guess something sparked my interest, and I bought my first detector and pinpointer in February 2012. I have been happier ever since. And for the record, I have never watched any of the "Digger" shows (I don't even watch TV believe it or not, my hobbies and social life keep me rather booked up).

BrianB

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Western Mass. Holyoke
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my White's IDX Pro the same year they came out, used it twice, and then everyday life took over, now want to try it again now that I have time to get out more. Also the Dr. said I need to exersise, so why not.............

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend talked me into getting a detector Told me he was this great detectorist RIGHT he couldn't even work his own detector Haven't seem him since his detector was only finding the steel in his shoes lol Love the hobby

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seen a friend out in front of his house with a prizm 5
he found a clue game pawn
then he said the one he owns is better than the one he was holding he told me the name
mxt
income tax came in went up to the white's dealer in Houghton michigan, walked in laid 850.00 on the counter 5 years later
I own more detectors than guns,not,found some in creatable stuff, my finds payed for every detector I own since then I got one uncle hooked and one aunt hooked and countless likes.....

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love exploring the outdoors, history and the thrill of what might be on the end of the digger is like fishing....you don't know what you're gonna pull out!

Maathai Wangari

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim, you are doing good job, Keep it continue! AT Pro is perfect for you in your hunting. The metal shelving rods is good and effective instrument for you.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how it started, but I have old super 8 video of me at 5yrs old, jumpin' up n down on a number two shovel in the garden, digging for pirate treasure.

It was probably Dad that planted those buried treasure seeds in my little brain.:laughing7::thumbsup:

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I was the original trailer trash....my hillbilly cousins got nothing on me. I was 4 years old and lived in a 2 bedroom run down trailer next to a trash dump. It was like Christmas when the garbage trucks came in. After they left I would climb through the trash to find things to sell for a penny or nickel to the other trailer people. They would buy stuff just to humor me I suppose. Then as I got a few years older I would look for old bottles and coins and jewelry in the storm sewers. I knew all of the storm seers that I could walk through where I lived. People drop coins and they get washed down these sewers. Heck I've even detected the sludge that is removed from the sanitary sewage system...small fortune in this if you can find where they dump it! By the early 70's I had my first detector and was on my way to finding several caches.....I've never looked back and never regretted where I come from.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fun reading......I had hunted arrow heads as a kid and dug old bottles and had a fun collection. But moving around working they all got packed away. As I got a little older I started looking at all the things I found as a kid and remembered the fun times and started back artifact hunting. I was rope climbing and spelunking then so it was a natural.My neighbor had a metal detector and dug a CW bullet in his yard. I used his detector one day and then went and bought one the next as I was digging bullets like crazy. Come to find out I was living on a little known battle site. It was all down hill from there,lol.After I dug up all my neighbors yards I started researching and learning about what I was finding and new spots to try.Seems like I have been doing it forever now and the best finds to come are in the next hunt.
I am hooked. The research is great in the winter for the finds come summer. I have always hunted and this was just another way to satisfy the hunter gatherer in me :tongue3:
HH
TnMtns

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always knew about MDing, but never had the time to even think about it.
I retired last June '12 for the SECOND time, so now I have decided to give this 'long thought about' hobby some of my NEW extra time.:metaldetector::headbang:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was always the little girl with her head down at the beach,river,field,wherever looking for whatever caught my eye.Not sure if I developed my love for looking for stuff on my own or from my mother,she always seemed to like beach combing and looking for driftwood,pretty rocks,odd bits of metal and of course shells. It wasn't until many years later that my husband got interested in family history and then metal detecting and we bought a White's.My idea of a perfect day is a day out in the sunshine metal detecting and then going home to clean up our finds.

Vampcatt

Greenie
May 1, 2013
Eufaula, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150, Garrett 250 -
PRO POINTER!! (Finally!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We (Hubby and I) started this lifestyle (not just a hobby) not so long ago, actually. We've always loved the outdoors... fishing and taking dirt roads just to "see where they go". We have always wanted to metal detect and saved up and got the family armed. Hubby - Garrett 250 - Me; Garrett 150 - Daughter(age 6) Bounty Hunter Jr. We spend the time as a family, and we usually multi task. My daughter calls us "Picnic Diggers" because we'll load up, Hubby will fish/detect... I'll detect/picnic with daughter and She'll usually picnic..dig a bit.. and now that Oklahoma is 2 degrees lower than Hades... we tend to choose locations that might not have as much promise of loot... but are near a body of water.. so she Swims mostly(as do we!). We love to make an outing of it and spend quality family time together. We have been researching lots, and are starting to upload vids, and really immerse ourselves in detecting :)...

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not going to make me think back too far as my first machine, an AT PRO is coming in this Thursday.
Rich

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been MD'in for 12 years its always been a hobby of my fathers and I. I enjoy getting outdoors exploring, loosing some weight, the time i spend with my dad and uncovering treasures from the past to keep in a better place than the ground. I've always loved the Civil War and the history behind it is magnificent. I plan on doing it the rest of my life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread