Warning about potential Scam

skool

Feb 15, 2013
in the heart of africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes it's just best you stick to the classifieds rather then PM's to look for a detector.
although distances may make things difficult also.
but Good Luck Skool !

Do you have friends over there with detectors , that may tell you where thy got theirs ?

they get their detectors by their family members or relatives who lives in usa or europe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also remember not all detectors are good for finding raw gold.
so you want to be careful not to purchase one that won't find small nuggets.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time I sell something and the buyer wants to pay with a money order I insist on it being a POSTAL money order. You go to the PO and cash it and it can not come back to bite you. If you deposit a money order in your bank account it can come back as bad up to a month later. When I think something may be up I insist on a postal MO and I usually don't hear back from the person.

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time I sell something and the buyer wants to pay with a money order I insist on it being a POSTAL money order. You go to the PO and cash it and it can not come back to bite you. If you deposit a money order in your bank account it can come back as bad up to a month later. When I think something may be up I insist on a postal MO and I usually don't hear back from the person.

Good call...there was (and prob still is) a scam people were pulling on craigslist doing just that. A person agrees to purchase an item, says they will pay by money order/check, send a third party to pick up the item (the individuals are always from a different area and send a surrogate) and hand over the money order/check at that time (or in some cases just beforehand) take the item with them and then shortly thereafter, the order/check is cancelled and the original owner gets screwed.

We purchased a used Precor elliptical this past year from a woman and her son who were very leary as someone had just attempted this with them for the same item. They got wise real quick before any handover was made. They were even getting calls from the guy giving them a hard time and "threatening" them with legal action, when they said, "go a head and try it" they never heard from him again. No problems with us though! Paid cash and got a GREAT deal!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Now that was close

I thought the scam was the ace 2 fiddy and any bounty hunter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a GB Pro for sale but with all the scams(I realize you arent)people are just super apprehensive about dealing with anybody they dont know let alone ones out of country.Is it true about the kidnapped and forced to detect for gold stories?

milehigh

Jul 10, 2012
Castle Rock,CO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a retired Policeman.......I have worked West African scams before.............very simple................Delete their pm's and or posts............whatever. They prey on sympathy......nuff said!

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
..actually Black Hawk Down happened in,and the Pirates are coming from Mogadishu in Somalia Bosn :thumbsup:

Oops! Do I still get to go play with my MXT?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a retired Policeman.......I have worked West African scams before.............very simple................Delete their pm's and or posts............whatever. They prey on sympathy......nuff said!
Yes the police think every one is a crook...... But in reality police are the biggest crooks there are.......

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not assuming anything but i got a question, since there have been so many different scams and like it was pointed out money orders can be scammed , how can this gentleman get a usa post office money order ? he cant can he ? so what other trustworthy way could he pay some one to ship him a MD and they get there money upfront ?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not assuming anything but i got a question, since there have been so many different scams and like it was pointed out money orders can be scammed , how can this gentleman get a usa post office money order ? he cant can he ? so what other trustworthy way could he pay some one to ship him a MD and they get there money upfront ?

....US postal Money Orders are even counterfeited....good question!

milehigh

Jul 10, 2012
Castle Rock,CO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please read up on this...............Nigerian 419 scams. Just trying to help, no need to insult me.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree to always be aware of whats happening , but if there is a legal and legit way to get payment first and have cash in hand then send the MD how can you go wrong ? you would be helping some one out and not losing money .
then on the other hand i would never send a product without getting the cash in hand first .

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick counterpoint also , don’t let a stereotype influence your decisions, I am from Tennessee and it makes me so mad that every news show I see that is in Tennessee they look for the first toothless dirty, long haired man and it helps keep the stereotype that Tennesseans are nothing but a bunch of inbreed hicks and it makes me so mad . give everyone the benefit of the doubt , but still be smart about it. I had a old timer tell me “ you can handle a rattle snake even though its poisonous , just remember it’s a rattle snake. “

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick counterpoint also , don’t let a stereotype influence your decisions, I am from Tennessee and it makes me so mad that every news show I see that is in Tennessee they look for the first toothless dirty, long haired man and it helps keep the stereotype that Tennesseans are nothing but a bunch of inbreed hicks and it makes me so mad . give everyone the benefit of the doubt , but still be smart about it. I had a old timer tell me “ you can handle a rattle snake even though its poisonous , just remember it’s a rattle snake. “

You and my wife would get along. She is from Scott County, the Cumberland Plateau near Oneida, and woe be to the fellow that tells degrading hill billy stories. The only person from Tennessee that she will say anything bad about is Al Gore, and I got to let her start that conversation or I'm in trouble.

Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other

Heyyyy, I happen to like the dirty, long haired men (not the toothless ones though). I live in michigan and I am proud to call myself a redneck. I make due with what I have, reuse, recycle and make stuff go-enough. Some stereotypes are not bad. I have someone call me a redneck and I look straight at 'em, smile and tell them thanks.

There's a difference between being poor and proud and then there is just being poor. I buy meat when its on sale, and can it. We still have pickled spiced peaches from our own trees from 2 years ago. Came in handy when last year's crop was a complete bust. We also have quarts of homemade applesauce from our own trees. Not a whole lot but enough for my mom and me. Everyone calls me a hoarder and I hate that word. I ain't a hoarder. I don't keep useless junk. I reuse everything I can get my hands on. what I don't use I plan on selling at our spring yard sale. whewww, that's going to be a lot of work.

Anyhows, Hugs!!
-Garoulady

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hello Mr. Skool,

My name is Percival Perth III. I live in the UK and have several enterprises there. My main office is in one of my lesser
fancies, namely "Metal detection Apparitus For Chad,LTD". We furnish young ladies and gentlemen with locating devices to
prevent them stepping upon land mines and poisinous reptiles.

As a matter of fact I shall personally administer a shipment of Iron/Steel/Pipe/Mineral Locators# to these blessed children
within the month of March. Unfortunately I am not permitted to land my personal DC10 due to the current conflict. However
I intend to airdrop the divices into the larger dunes. The apparati is quite hardy I assure you.

Mr. Skool, please advise regarding your position on 21March/03 so that any leftover appariti can be delivered/dropped nearby.

# batteries included

PPIII

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread